1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

number of clicks to open email.....

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by butterbloom, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. butterbloom

butterbloom Thread Starter

Where is the configuration for changing the number of clicks for opening your email? I found it once ( wasn't easy ) and now have a new computer that I need to change but I can't remember where that little goodie is!

I have Windows XP in the one I am trying to change.

Thanks.
    Butterbloom

2. khaje

khaje

Do you mean once you have the email program open or from the desktop?

And if you mean the former. What email program do you use. AKA Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora.. ect

Khaje

3. butterbloom

Outlook Express.....I want to change the setting to not open the mail as soon as I click on to highlight. Right now, when I do, it opens the mail and I don't want it to. I want to be able to delete without opening . I have my other computer set at about two or three clicks.

____

~~~May all your flies be butterflies~~~Butterbloom

4. khaje

khaje

Two possible ways that I know of depending on how you want to go. Maybe someone else knows another way.

If you want preview pane on but do not want it to download the message. Tools: Options - select the read tab - uncheck 'automatically download message while viewing in the preview pane' - apply and ok

To shut the preview pane off alltogether View: Layout - uncheck 'Preview Pane' - apply and ok

If thats not what you meant I'm sure someone else will know.

Khaje

5. butterbloom

I found that last night and did change that. I haven't checked to see if that fixed the problem.

It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but since I am using XP, it may not be there.

I will let ya'll know if this does remedy my problem.

Thanks!

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Not sure if it will help, but, in control panel>mouse, you should have some option for that. I have a new mouse and I cant remember the options for the old.

7. butterbloom

The other suggestion for a possible solution does not work. In fact when I click on "Inbox" the first message comes right up.
    Maybe there is another way to avoid opening mail that might contain a virus. If any one knows please let me know.

8. butterbloom

It missed a good chance of being there! That seems like it would be the place it would be, but it was not. Shoot!

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy butterbloom

I have XP and IE6.... here's how mine works

Start OE...open inbox... click view tab then layout... if I leave a check in the Show preview pane then when I single click on a message it opens right up....if I uncheck the Show preview pane and click apply and OK then when I single click a message in the inbox it highlites it and double click opens it.

This must be done from the inbox not the main OE window

buck

10. butterbloom

Now that I have that information I can't get my internet connection on my laptop! It figures. I made a note of what you said and as soon as I figure out my new problem, I'll try it!

Computers.....can't live with 'em.....can't live with 'em!

11. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

But, butterbloom, a laptop is designed to throw. :D

12. butterbloom

a new way for a computer to crash!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice