1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Number of users in Access 2000?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Frank Bell, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frank Bell

Frank Bell Thread Starter

Is there a maximum number of users in Access 2000? I read that it's "optimized" for 5 users, and elsewhere that only 5 users can access a database at the same time. I don't want to waste time on developing an app if no more than 5 can use it at once...

2. Rockn

Rockn

Access is and never was meant to be an enterprise type of database. It has very limited multi user capability and should really only be used in a design or prototype environment. Go for SQL, MySQL, Oracle or something similar.

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I disagree with Rockn (sorry, Dude).

Tho Microsoft will tell you its limitations are more, the REASONABLE limitation is about 30 CONCURRENT (at the same time) users and about 50,000 records.

After that, you can still use it as a front end (what the user sees), but linked to a more robust database like the ones Rockn mentioned.

From the Help file (which is BS if you want to get any work done):

Number of concurrent users: 255

Microsoft Access database (.mdb) file size: 2 gigabytes.

4. Frank Bell

Thanks for the info (I couldn't find that note in Help about concurrent users). I'm developing for a small business, and so don't really need an Enterprise type program (5 users would be too small, but 10 or 12 is about what we'd have). What would be the best database to use, considering ease of programming, cost, reliability, etc.? We currently use an old Clipper compiled database, which actually works well... but it's time to upgrade!

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Can you give us a list of the types of things you're tracking? A database could track just part numbers, or could be used to run the whole company...

6. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

I'd say go with Access. There is no problem running an application with the number of users you're talking about, assuming that the sharing is set up properly (i.e. a back-end data file shared by all users, and a front-end client file on each machine containing forms, reports, queries, and code, linked to the back end) and that you have a solid network. Whether, as Dreamy points out, you're tracking part numbers or running a (small) company, you should be fine--I've certainly done both without ever leaving Access's limitations.

As of 2000, Access has a good transitional setup, i.e. you can start with a regular old Access data file, and if you find your needs require something more "robust", you can upsize the back end without having to rewrite the interface bits.

And it's relatively simple to learn, though people often expect it to be as easy to use as Excel, Word, etc. This is not the case--it's still a relational database manager, and that has a lot of theory behind it that must be understood. Plus, you don't really get to taste the Access whip until you're comfy with VBA. But VBA's (very) easy for most programmer types to pick up.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  8. Frank Bell

Thanks, Down and Dream... good advice. Since you asked, we use the database mainly keep track of people... customers, potential customers, and accounts receivable also. Basically a contact database, specialized for our business (a summer camp for kids). We've generated many types of reports, which will be interesting to try to replicate.

Dreamboat, you referred me to theofficeexperts.com, which looks like a very good source for answers. How does that site compare to this one for specific questions on Access, as they may come up?

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I'd never want to compete with TSG as I started out here myself.

However, to be honest, I think we've got a few more Access people frequenting over there, including Down, much to my delight!

The Office Experts is mine, so of course, I think it's better. The only real difference, tho, are the topics covered. I think we answer our questions as quickly and as well...

However, I have to be REALLY honest and tell you that there are even more Access-focused sites. It's just that your posts may get lost in the high volume. But you may want to search there before posting there or anywhere else:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/

Good luck, Frank!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice