1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Numerous BSOD's Hijackthis log attached

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by jeepsyrose, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeepsyrose

jeepsyrose Thread Starter

My system is extremely slow and blue screens about every 15 min. I have gotten a variety of BSOD messages. Reboots frequently don't work, resulting in the black screen with the flashing cursor. Dr. Watson tells me nothing - simply says "no faults." Please bear with me, I have done lots of troubleshooting and will try to relay it all here. The two troubleshooting efforts that seem to have rendered my system almost unusable are

• Removing a Microsoft KB
    • Running Microsoft's verifier.exe command
    In the beginning my system blue screened once a day (vague IRQL's) and was simply slow (high CPU usage.) The blue screens escalated to every 15 min after I ran the MS Verifier.exe command. My troubleshooting seems to have made things worse.

What I feel started the most recent rash of blue screens was when windows update installed KB905474. The update notification was on my screen and I had accepted it (what was I thinking) but I hadn't restarted the PC. I was trying to find a way to uninstall this thing before restarting. Before I could cancel the dialog box, the system blue screened and the next restart automatically installed the KB. I tried to roll it back but it is not listed in my Add/Remove programs, although all the other updates are and my restore points were missing (a KB doing?!) I did a search on the KB number and located the folder and deleted it manually. I have been cursed by Microsoft ever since!

Just a little history. My windows was newly formatted three months ago just before a new NVidia card purchase and all drivers had been updated including the BIOS. A friend who is an A+ tech/MCSE determined that the card was defective but after removal we couldn't figure out what the problem was with the remaining blue screens due to our limited time to work on it. An internet search of the model number confirmed that the video card was a lemon. Unfortunately, after reverting back to the original card/card's drivers, the problems didn't stop. Additionally, an external hard drive failed losing my backup. I am tired of asking my friend to spend all his free time with my PC problems so I am posting here and trying to figure this out myself. I am a professional web designer and I really need my system to run graphics programs. The laptop just doesn't cut it. I've been working on this for months.

Here is the most recent rash of BSOD messages. If you want the stop codes, let me know. I only include the stop code for the first one since it seemed significant.

• Driver IRQL Less or Equal USBport.sys Address B782508B Date Stamped 480254ce Stop 0x000000D1.
    • SVCHost.ext instruction at 0x7o910ccc referenced memory could not be read
    • Attempt made to write to a read-only memory
    • PFN LIST CORRUPT
    • CMA Subsystem has detected an illegal DMA operation initiated by a driver being verified. (Stop 0x000000E6 (0x0000000D,... the remaining 3 parameters all end in zeros.)
    Could this last error be the verifier command initiating the blue screen? I couldn't determine if there was a faulty driver because the system was blue screening before I could get through the list in system devices although I did check the video driver first and there was no apparent problems. I tried rebooting in safe mode and going through the port list but didn't see anything in the 3 seconds I had before system crashed again.

Most of the pre-"verifier" BSOD messages were the vague IRQL Less or Equal types with memory dumps.

Another interesting thing is that all of my restore points from the last month were gone when I tried to do a system restore. I am running AVG, Norton Ghost, and Adaware. I noticed in the Task Manager that my CPU was maxed out at 100% and these three items were using most of the resources so I end-tasked on them. I have rebooted numerous times in safe mode and also using msconfig to restart through all of the various combinations of winini, sysini, bootini items, etc. and couldn't see any of these making a difference in speed or crashes (I have startup items always disabled.)

After end tasking dozens of times, and finding no way to use the programs to stop them, I decided to run some other commands to try to investigate things such as the settings for AVG, Norton, and AWS. These commands were:
    • gpedit.msc
    • eventvwr.msc
    • services.msc
    When I used Event Viewer, I saw red x errors next to the following apps:
    APPLICATIONS
    * Norton Ghost
    * VSS
    * msinstaller (numerous)
    SYSTEM
    * Service Control Manager
    * DCOM
    * VolSnap
    * Removable Storage Device
    * Windows Update Agent
    The following processes were implicated by Event Viewer as culprits so I disabled alot of their functions.

• AVGchsvx.exe
    • vproSvc.exe
    • aawservice.exe
    It should go without saying, I unplugged everything but the mouse and keyboard and rebooted when I got the USBport message but even that didn't help.

Well, this is my whole journal of problems over the last few weeks! :) I hope it helps although my true focus is hearing what the HiJackThis file reveals since I think most of the errors I have seen so far are red herrings.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice