1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NumLock Caps Lock & Scroll Lock all lit up!!??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by los003, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. los003

los003 Thread Starter

I need help. I will explain when I believe the problem began. I Had windows xp running with 3 harddrives and a Cdrom drive. My CdRom drive began to give me problems, so I was going to swap it with one from one of my other computers. At the same time I wanted to change the way I had all my drives connected. I had originally had the 80 gig drive as a Primary Master, with a smaller drive acting as the Slave. I also had the Cdrom as Master Secondary drive and a smaller drive attached as the Slave. Now everthing was running fine, exept that my cdrom drive would read the discs only if it would start up with the disk in the drive. If I tried to change it, windows would ask me to place a disk in the F: drive, when there already was one. I thought to replace the CdRom drive with another working device. while at the same time I decided to change up my Connections. I took the "new" cd rom drive and made it Slave Primary to the Master 80 Gig drive. then I took the two smaller drives and put them together as sencondary devices. when I tried to turn on the computer all that happens is, as soon as I touch the power my 3 lights on my keyboard come on. Num Lock Caps Lock and Scroll Lock. I know the drive is turning on because I can feel & here it wirr. I tried taking everything off except for the 80 gig drive and I still got the same problem. Later on I noticed that there are a bunch of smaller connections that come from the front of my computer power, sleep, and reset buttons. I saw that 1 of these switches was not connected. It may have already have been that way, or not. Im not sure. I read the words on the cable and they say Sleep. so I dont think that this could be the case. If it is I need to know where it is supposed to connect to. If not, can somebody please give me a website or some info on what I can do. Thank!! I apprecciate your patience in reading my long message...

2. cavp

cavp

First: Where did u plug that cable?? you could have fried ur mainboard.... second: Perhaps u connected cables in the wrong way... check and post reply

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi los003

I wouldn't worry about the sleep connector. It most likely is not used. I would recheck/ reseat eveything inside the system as chances are that you knocked something loose when you were moving cables around. You might also want to reset your cmos (Jumper) and see if that helps. Also check the system board for any small screws that may have been dropped when you were moving the drives around.

4. los003

los003 Thread Starter

How do I know if its my mother board that is "fried" ? I kept getting the same problem. Rechecked all my cables. There was a couple of times that I was able to get the computer up, & it would freeze after a while. When I would restart it, I would get the CMOS Checksum Bad, message. I went to a radio Shack near my house to check the Battery, & that wasn't it. What else can it be? has anyone else ever had this problem before??

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

If I may offer my humble 2 pennies here...

I would try changing the battery, a lot of times the voltage will check good, but it's the mah ( milli amps hour ) that you need to be concerned with, if it's not capable of supplying the amperage then it's no good...

6. los003

los003 Thread Starter

I'm still not sure what it was but I started disconnecting and reconnecting EVERYTHING today. Finally the 3 lights stopped, and now I am happy to say that this message is being posted from my up and running computers. Thanx for all your help!!

LOS

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi LOS

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for letting us know what you did to get it going again.
    :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/93164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice