1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nurse02

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nurse02, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nurse02

nurse02 Thread Starter

Cannot print from internet, get message "print spooler service not running". Help!

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Try starting the print spooler service.go control panel classic view, administrative tools,services,scroll down to print spooler service right click choose properties, set to automatic and start service and maybe your printer will work.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

go start, run, type "services.msc"
    Scroll down to Print spooler . Double click that entry - is startup type automatic.
    If not set as such using arrow to right and then select automatic.
    Click apply and OK as required. Restart computer.

4. nurse02

nurse02 Thread Starter

Thanks, but neither of your solutions worked. My print spooler says it is started, and on automatic, but my printer has disappeared from the control panel,and I still can't print. GRRR!

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Install the printer driver again using their CD.

6. nurse02

nurse02 Thread Starter

well, I would if I could, but don't have it, this is a hand me down. but thanks.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to the printer manufacturer web site and go to support/download and find the printer model. Usually the driver will be available online for downloading.

8. Macboatmaster

Also check the connection between the printer and the computer.
    Is it USB connection or the old serial connection. If it is usb - are other usb devices plugged in the same set of usb ports recognised. - ie: a flash drive.

Albeit the printer is not seen in Control Panel is it seen in device manager as a printer or as an unrecognised device. That is Start, right click the My Computer entry and click properties, then click hard ware, then device manager.

Not that it makes any difference now, but post 2 and my post 3 were the SAME possible resolution, simply a different way of getting to services and a slightly different way of opening print spooler service.

9. nurse02

nurse02 Thread Starter

My printer is not in device manager either. Should I try to do as lunarlander suggests and download the printer driver from HP's website?
    I do thanks you for your advice.

10. Macboatmaster

Pls answer the questions in my last post
    AND is there an unknown device shown

11. Macboatmaster

nurse02
    I am going offline for a couple of hours shortly.
    In an attempt to help you further, as I am still waiting for your reply to the last
    Go start click Help and Support in the search box type install printer and then on the page that opens work your way through that advice.
    It is very likely that Windows will have the driver for that printer -

12. nurse02

nurse02 Thread Starter

macboatmaster, thanks, will try your stuff later, you're a big help.

13. Macboatmaster

You STILL have not answered the questions.
    It makes a difference how to proceed - depending on if the printer is usb connection or not.
    It also makes a difference as to if it is USB are other USB devices seen ie: a flash drive.
    It also makes a difference if it is seen as an UNKOWN device.

14. nurse02

nurse02 Thread Starter

mac. it is a USB connection, don't know if any other stuff is there, am investigating, my sons in law did the installation, will have to check with them as to flash drives etc. IN the meantime, will try HP's instructions for installing the basic driver.

15. Macboatmaster

I think you have misunderstood - a USB flash pen. You plug it in to a usb port to save data to.
    Do you have one.
    It is nothing to do with the installation.
    PLUG ONE IN and se if the computer recognises it.
    Is the printer POWER led on, usually a green led.
    If it is pluggged into the power - ie your normal powers sockets and there is no green led on the printer then this is your problem,. you need then to solve that.
    If there is a green power led on the printer then when you connect the usb lead to the computer the computer should see the lead connected, as a usb device.
    Does it do so.

Back in about two hours.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice