1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nv4_disp blue screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nina2000, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nina2000

nina2000 Thread Starter

I have Windows XP professional

Here's what i've gotten more than once:

A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates

Technical Information
    *** STOP: 0x000000EA (0x81A10A00, 0x82208008, 0x81A1CAD8, 0x00000001)

nv4_disp
    Beginning dumb of physical memory.

Contact system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I have the 128MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card installed on the computer.

When I tried using F8 to start the computer in the safe mode, my keyboard is disabled and I cannot get past the administrator login password. My keyboard does not have a USB connection and I also tried another keyboard, only to have the same problem.

What suggestions do you have?:confused:

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

If you also have integrated graphics/video capability on your motherboard, you could pull the nVidia card and boot using the onboard.
    Likewise if you have an alternative graphics card lying about.

You could also try booting from your Windows disc and using the repair options.

I think this is a pretty common issue with that series of cards, and unfortunately no overly clear resolution.
    You'll have to try removing the driver package (when you get back into Windows) and installing later or older versions....

3. nina2000

nina2000 Thread Starter

I tried booting from the Windows disc, but my keyboard continues to become disabled. Is there something that I can do to prevent that from happening during the startup process?

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Can you get into windows normally? If you can, uninstall the nividia graphics driver and reinstall it.

With an FX 5200 I would use some older drivers.

5. nina2000

nina2000 Thread Starter

No, that's why I was trying an alternate route to get to the C: drive.

6. norton850

norton850

You can use your keyboard to choose the Windows options screen and to move around in BIOS but it won't work after you've booted from the Windows CD?

7. nina2000

nina2000 Thread Starter

That is correct. When I power up the computer, I can use the F12 key to bring up the boot menu. The keyboard will work to select an option at this point. The computer reads the windows setup disc and after a minute or two will ask me whether I want to set up XP, repair XP, or quit. My keyboard is disabled at this point so I can't make a selection. Prior to this alternative, I tried starting up in the safe mode using F8. When I get to the administrator login, I can't enter a password because the keyboard is disabled.

The keyboard is not a USB connection, and I tried another keyboard just to make sure that it wasn't the keyboard.

8. norton850

norton850

So it seems like the problem is only Windows. Strange that it happens even with the CD. Only thing I can think of would be to try a USB keyboard.

9. nina2000

nina2000 Thread Starter

I tried a third keyboard and it worked this time. I started the computer in the safe mode and uninstalled the driver on the C drive. Then when I restarted the computer and reinstalled the driver, the computer screen kept flashing to black. So I decided to disable the video card for now. When I ran the diagnostics on from the Driver CD, the result was FAIL. Does this mean that the card is bad?

10. norton850

norton850

Did this start after a driver update?

11. nina2000

nina2000 Thread Starter

Yes. I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it using the CD. I tried more than once with the same result.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice