1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nv4_disp.dll

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RSM123, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Though my problem here is with running games I have posted here as its related to the above .dll error. Though not an avid gamer, I have tried to run several games on my new pc over the last few days, but with one exception they crash giving the same error message.

As I am running XP Home, I have disabled the automatic reboot when encountering an error, and consequently was able to establish that this nv4_disp.dll would appear to be the root cause of the problem.

The system specs are :

Athlon 2600.

512mb PC2700 Ram.

Gigabyte GA7N 400 Mobo (May 03 Bios.)

QDI GeForce 440 64mb Graphics Card.

As stated above XP Home.

DirectX 9.0b.

I realise that this is driver related and have tried both the latest and previous drivers (45.23) and (44.03) which I have on a pc mag cover disk and downloaded separately from the web - in case one was corrupt. However neither these drivers nor the previous version (44.03) allow more than 2 mins before the system crashes.

Searching on Google proved somewhat inconclusive - a number of the sites were in other languages, and thos that were in English gave various potential causes of this error, none of which applied in my case.

There are no lose components, nothing is damaged;

The system has been scanned for viruses, trojans, and spyware;

I have recently done complete scan disk and defrag;

Having searched my system I have found six incidences of this nv4 dll file located as follows :

Location Size

c:\windows\system32 - 3,106kb

c:\mydrivers\end-23pz 3,106kb

c:\nvidia\winxp-2k\45.23 3,812kb

c:\windows\lastgood\system32 3,459kb

c:\windows\drivercache\38\sp1.cab 3413kb

c:\windows\system32\reinstallbackups\0009\driverfiles 3459kb

My question is firstly does anyone know which of these can be deleted ? And in the event one has to be moved what is the correct method for moving a dll ?

Any feedback at all would be most welcome

2. Whitestar

Whitestar

I dont know whats causing ur prob, but i can say that u shouldnt delete any of those files.

3. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Whitestar,

To be honest I'm not panicking about this as I bought a Radeon 9500 today. I just wanted to get this GF4 fully functional as since buying the machine I've spent most time online, its only in the last few days I tried running any games :D

One of my systems is out of action at the moment but when both are working one will be for the net, and the other for offline stuff.

Thanks again.

Richard.

4. Whitestar

Whitestar

Right. Had a look around and found that its ur gfx card driver (which u knew alredy). My advise would be to compltely uninstall it and re-install it using the drivers that u got with it.

5. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Thanks again,

As this system is only 3 months old I have all the cds but on opening the graphics card driver cd and clicking 'browse' - the window that opens is 'my documents' as in 'my pictures' , 'my music' etc :eek:

Murphys Law - If it can go wrong ... it will :D

6. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

To follow up on this - after downloading and testing countless drivers I found out it was faulty ram.

Anyone else getting this error - if new drivers don't work ... test each ram stick individually and in different slots to pin down either a ram or mobo fault.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice