1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nvidia 8500 GT Freezes during games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VashUG, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VashUG

VashUG Thread Starter

i recently put a computer together heres the specs

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 500 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227
    500w max Power Supply

ok so i just got it finished and everything works fine but when i try to play example Half life 2 it plays for about 1 minute then the screen locks up and the texture quality drops and little squares of every color like pop up everywhere, the pattern and colors are different everytime i try it as is the time it takes to do it. then i have to restart the computer through the tower.

All my drivers are up to date and when it does it my temperature gauge on the front of my tower doesnt increase or anything strange i honestly dont know what it is. im just assuming its the graphics card because of the way the screens colors appear when it freezes.

PLEASE HELP ME thanks

2. Sponsor

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Have you tried older driver versions as well? I had to backtrack two .n versions of drivers in some situations to make my games compatible in all cases. The latest is not always the greatest. Half Life 2 can be really finicky (but not as bad as the original Half Life was) sometimes on some system configurations, so if its mostly just that game it could be that. I have the luxury of switching between three similarly configured systems so I can pick the best one to go with and I actually did experience freeze ups on one of them but not as frequently as yours does.

4. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Wow, except for the hard drive size, your system is exactly like mine (before I got my Geforce 8800GT).

I had a problem when I was playing Battlefield 2 where suddenly the colors were messed up and the quality dropped like a lead weight.

At first, I thought that my GPU was overheating. I ordered a PCI cooling fan. While it was shipping, I figured I might as well reinstall the drivers. It worked.

What I think was going was that the drivers I was using were corrupted. When I downloaded new drivers, I made sure that the integrity was solid.

Try downloading the drivers from here. Then check the file integrity against the md5 hash 73AD959FD62CFD9D9BE1C3608609F383. I did it by downloading it with Free Download Manager, then right clicking the file after it has been downloaded (inside of the FDM download list window), going to the "Advanced" sub-menu, and clicking the "Check File Integrity" option.

5. VashUG

VashUG Thread Starter

Well it does it on Call of Duty 4 MF as well and this morning it did when on startup on my desktop. but heres some pics of what its doing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

little blocks appear around the letters and somtimes in random places, i tried it with Half life again and after a little bit the blocks started to flash then i got a blue screen with some writing i couldnt read it happened to fast then my computer rebooted... so i really have no idea... and im thinking it does it with every game... so its a generic problem with the card i think.

6. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Wait, I know this sounds simple, but I think it is worth a shot.
    Right click on your desktop, go to "Properties," go to the "Settings" tab, and check to see if "Color Quality" is set to 32-bit.

7. VashUG

VashUG Thread Starter

it is, it doesnt start up looking like that it runs like it should for about 30 seconds then boom just freezes and looks like that untill i either restart the comp, or it reboots itself

im gunna try what you just said up top

8. VashUG

VashUG Thread Starter

ok so reinstalling like you said didnt work and i used that program to check its integrity and it check out fine so it cant be that

might it be the Dual processors clashing with the graphics card? i think i heard of that happening some where

9. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

This is my last idea- go to the nVidia control panel, and go to "Perform system Stability Test." Select only "CPU," and let it go (how long is up to you). Do the same for GPU and memory. Tell us what stress test it crashes on.

10. VashUG

VashUG Thread Starter

its the GPU! the CPU checked out fine but then i went for a GPU test and it did the exact same thing the games have been doing.

11. VashUG

VashUG Thread Starter

ok im taking the Graphics card back to Best buy (those *******s) and getting a new one so... it better not happen again lol

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/671407