1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NVIDIA 9800GT no signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daViTo, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daViTo

daViTo Thread Starter

Wadup gents (and ladies). I have an NVIDIA 9800GT 512mb that used to work perfectly, but a few months ago when i switched on my pc, it said, no signal. The card gets completely hot and i dont know whether it has to do with thermal paste or not.
    I had my friend flux the card, he said it should help (but it didn't). it's not my DVI cable either coz i bort a brand new 1 recently. He told me to check whether i get any picture using the S-Video connection but i dont know how to use that. I managed to get an S-Video cable but what do i connect it to?
    Please and Thanx for viewing

2. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

do you get a screen in safe mode

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the computer work with another video card? If it doesn't or you don't know than are you sure the problem is even with the video card? Could be the monitor, the power supply, motherboard, RAM, or another component. Have you tested the monitor or tried another monitor on this computer?

Does the card even have S-video? Return the cable, it won't prove anything.

4. daViTo

daViTo Thread Starter

Geforce NVIDIA 512mb 9800GT
    Dell pc optiplex 755
    1x2GB ram DDR2
    Intel Premium Dual core 2.4GHz
    Windows 7 64bit

The pc does work with another video card currently using an ATI Radeon HD 400 pro which came with the pc.
    it does have an S-Video. I tested the monitor yes i doubt its the monitor coz wth the radeon card i get feedback.
    I've heard people doing oven tricks, but there cards actually display a signal so I dont think thats my best bet ryt now..

5. daViTo

daViTo Thread Starter

What do u mean the Svid cable won't prove anything?

6. daViTo

daViTo Thread Starter

Thats the card I have
    Sorry fr the multiple posts btw

Attached Files:

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well lets say you get signal with the S-Video, what's your next step? The card still doesn't display anything through the DVI and S-Video generally has to be enabled to work, and the quality of it is too low to be usable.

Sure you can try the oven trick, just read up on how people do it. It's a bit of work and can potentially release toxins into your oven. What most people do is buy a new card.

8. daViTo

daViTo Thread Starter

Lol...i guess it's time to save up now...Thanx Triple 6...i'll try to get it to a pc shop so that a qualified tech can check it and tell for for sure whether my card is deceased or not...But like u said it's clearly ti,e for an upgrade
    thanx fr reply aswell dai.

9. dai

dai

i think you have dropped a number off this

Radeon HD 400 pro

what psu is in it

make
    model
    wattage

i will lay odds you upgraded the card without upgrading the psu to run it

your original card pulls 25w the new pulls 125w and your psu needs to be up here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

original dell supplies depending on the version of the optiplex 755 range from 200w to 275w which has no chance in hell of running the card

10. daViTo

daViTo Thread Starter

power supply: huntkey 550W green psu
    U c the card worked before on this motherboard wen i tried puttng it in the pci slot again nw as soon as i switched on the pc the card ran extremely hot after 5seconds, I couldnt take it out thats how hot it got...plus ofcoz the no signal prob

11. daViTo

daViTo Thread Starter

power supply: huntkey 550W green psu
    U c the card worked before on this motherboard wen i tried puttng it in the pci slot again nw as soon as i switched on the pc the card ran extremely hot after 5seconds, I couldnt take it out thats how hot it got...plus ofcoz the no signal prob

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. dai

dai

huntkey are straight up junk

14. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

They should come packaged with a fire extinguisher.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice