1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nvidia card not being utilized by Asus Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Robertomatic, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robertomatic

Robertomatic Thread Starter

I have an Asus n56vz with an Nvidia Optimus card.
    http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-N56VZ-ES71-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B007Z92SJU[1]
    I set the 650m to be the default on the Nvidia control panel, as well as set it to be used when I play all my games in "Mangage 3D Settings." Ever since I tried playing Sonic Generations a while back all the processes that should be done with a graphics card seem slower and/or worse. When I right click the desktop and click "Screen Resolution" then detect displays, it only brings up the Intel 4000 integrated graphics card. Same thing when I open Sonic Generations, that's the only card it shows in config.
    The Nvidia card does show up on the Device Manager. But in the DxDiag it shows Intel as the graphics card.

2. dai

dai

3. Robertomatic

The bios has no option for it, and disabling the Intel display adapter in the Device Manager turns off my display forcing me to restart.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may want to update the BIOS and then update both the Intel and nVidia drivers, all are available from the Asus website: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=N56VZ&os=30 The BIOS updates the nVidia card's BIOS as well.

Some applications will see the Intel graphics when it's active and there's no demand, but when the demand is there it should switch automatically. You can also force the nVidia card to be used by a specific app/game in the nVidia Control Panel.

I haven't seen a laptop where you couldn't turn off the Optimus/Switchable Graphics in the BIOS, the option should be there somewhere.

5. Robertomatic

I just updated the BIOS from Asus' advising and the drivers have been updated multiple times. Still no luck.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. Robertomatic

When I run GW2 and Diablo 3, it says the Nvidia GPU is on. I'm only getting 30~ (not so smooth) fps in these games on medium/low though. It wasn't like that when I first got the computer. A 650m should allow me more capabilities than that. If it's not the graphics card I don't know what the problem is. The DxDiag still says Intel is the main graphics card.

Attached Files:

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    DXDIAG is pretty basic, it only knows what the current graphics card is and doesn't know about switchable graphics.

How are the systems temps? Is your system free of malware/viruses?

9. Robertomatic

I run quick scans regularly and running a full scan now.
    Been playing GW2 for about an hour and the temps look like this.
    GPU: 47C
    HD0: 43C
    Temp1: 54C
    Core0:49C
    Core1:52C
    Core2:49C
    Core3:54C

10. Robertomatic

No virus' detected.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Temps are great. Not sure if it's driver/software issue or what. What kind of frame rates were you getting initially?

12. Robertomatic

50-60 on high/ultra. The problem started(I think) around when I updated the drivers to the 310.90 beta, I've reverted them back/reinstalled multiple times but I'm still not getting anywhere near the original performance.

13. dai

dai

there can be problems with beta drivers

with laptops you need to obtain the drivers from the laptop makers download section unless they say otherwise

14. Robertomatic

Yeah I realize now. But even since the release of the official 310.90, I have reverted back to the Asus suggested drivers, as well as updated to the official 310.90, but neither has helped my performance.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may have to backup your data and do a factory restore.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice