1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nVidia drivers conflicting with OS (BSOD error)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by optimus_prime, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. optimus_prime

optimus_prime Thread Starter

Hi,
    I was making a video with Camtasia some time before when some problem occurred. Once it showed that the nVidia drivers recovered from a problem and after some time, it started giving this problem.
    See this screenshot:
    http://i.imgur.com/CrgeH.jpg

I ahve a DELL XPS M1530 and the specs are
    Nvidia 8600M GT
    4GB Ram
    Core2Do T8100
    320Gb Hard Disk
    Windows 7

I performed some diagnostics during the BIOS startup with DELL onboard Diagnostics utility. It passed the tests and when I rebooted the colors were set itself. By the time I came to Desktop, the colors again started showing a problem and it came to 16 bit and then there was a totally black screen.
    Again a restart till the desktop and it showed me the error:

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:   BlueScreen
      OS Version:   6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:   1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode:   124
      BCP1:   00000000
      BCP2:   87324024
      BCP3:   00000000
      BCP4:   00000000
      OS Version:   6_1_7600
      Service Pack:   0_0
      Product:   256_1
    I downloaded the latest nVidia driver 266.58 for 8600M GT from the official site and installed them

After reinstalling the drivers, the same error occurred after 5-6 hours. This time I was just using Photoshop when the screen turned black and freezed and then did a force shutdown. I have disabled the drivers of nVidia for now since I think they are causing the problem and there's no problem occuring after this. What should I do now?

2. fel1x

fel1x

have you tried without the card and use onboard graphics to rule out faulty card ? card temperature?

nvidia drivers site usually recommends latest but is often a beta sometimes best to scroll back to latest stable driver ie the one before the latest one

suggest also posting your dump files

locale 1033 can refer to norton issues and bios ? is yours updated via Dell?

3. optimus_prime

Yes, I have currently disabled the graphics and currentl running on VGA and there's no BSOD occuring till now after using Photoshop, Camtasia, Visual Studio etc. for 24 hours

I did look up for the dump files while posting this thread but in Windows/Minidum,there was not file :-/

Yes, its BIOS A12 version for XPS from DELL and I am using ESET Nod32. There hasn't been a problem with this since I am using this for 12 months or so...

I also performed a RAM check and there were no errors in the RAM.

4. K7M

K7M

I would use a good memory test such as memtest and let it run for a while. Seeing as your memory for video is shared. I don't know how good the ram test from Dell is, (I assume that is what you used)

5. optimus_prime

I used Windows Memory Diagnostic. Also tried to use memtest86 but my drive is faulty and the external drive doesn't boot up from BIOS.
    Tried to boot from a USB by putting memtest86 on USB using unetboot but during booting, it showed the error Unable to load from the kernel image etc.
    So, I had to use Windows Memory Diagnostic.
    P.S Windows is not fully updated. I disabled since it makes the system slow sometimes. Can that be the problem?

6. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

Uhh, if you are running on the integrated graphics (shared memory) with no problems, and only when using the nVidia card (no shared memory) are you having troubles, and last but not least this is a recent problem, I think it is either a corrupted driver or a bad card. (The latter being most likely.) Since you downloaded the latest 8600 drivers from nVidia site and still had the problem it almost positively is the card. I've had so many video cards go bad that it isnow the first thing I suspect when I see issues like yours. Heat that buidls up afer a few hours often exacerbates underlying hardware problems.

7. optimus_prime

Yesterday, I had disabled some of the starup programs that I haven't been using. Today morning when I switched on the computer for looking into this thread and opened Firefox, the error occured again. I had to force shutdown and it started in 16 bit colors. I looked up in Device Manager> Graphics Adapter and nVidia was already disabled as I had did it earlier. Does that bring closer to point to the problem?
    No dump file was there in Windows/Minidumps.

8. optimus_prime

So, I am running on 16bit mode now, nVidia disabled. When I try to change the mode to 32 bit, it shows some blank screen and then reverts to 16 bit. Does that point to something faulty in VGA card or dust inside the laptop?
    (CPU Temp is normal 70/71 degrees)

9. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

My guess is the video card. I have often seen such symptoms with a bad card.

10. fel1x

fel1x

11. K7M

K7M

Fijijohn, I don't know if you realize this Dell is a laptop. Video is onboard, and shares memory. Disabled or not he is still using the same vid chip. I would remove your memory and try to reseat the sticks. If you have two memory sticks in the laptop, try with one at a time and see if the problem re occurs.

12. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

Sorry, I knew it was a laptop but thought that was one of the Dells that used the discrete card. I knew that on some models Dell used a custom designed interface for the gfx card to fit ATI or NVIDIA cards. AFAIK, those did have on board memory (and some did have over-heatiing issues).

13. K7M

K7M

Oh I could be wrong also, I didn't realize some Dells used discrete cards. Thought it's like all the HP's that fried.

14. optimus_prime

memtest OK (3 passes)
    Furmark Stress Test for graphics card: OK without any crash for 20 minutes. Screeny: http://i.imgur.com/Vr0Jp.jpg

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice