1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nvidia drivers

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by katabby, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katabby

katabby Thread Starter

I have tried numerous times in the last few days to update the drivers for nvidia 8600.
    Download, then start to install, it says the new drivers are only for 32 bit Vista.
    I KNOW I have Vista home premium, 32 bit.
    Redownloaded several times to make sure it's the right version, but get the same results.
    Anyone else having these problems?
    I think the new driver release date is Jan.8 2009, and the software version is 180.20

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Did you get the drivers from here?
    www.nvidia.com
    Did you uninstall the old drivers first?

3. joeten

joeten

hi you might try the previous version and see if the problem is the same

4. katabby

katabby Thread Starter

Yes I got the drivers from the Nvidia website.
    I didn't uninstall the current driver, no need with Nvidia, and the previous version worked fine, but newer ones available.

5. joeten

joeten

this may be a case if it aint broke dont fix it:D

6. katabby

katabby Thread Starter

I always update my graphics drivers. And network drivers.
    These usually have increased abilities and functionality.
    Most other drivers I leave alone unless there's a problem.
    However, back to the problem at hand.
    On installation, the Nvidia drivers don't recognize my system as 32 bit Vista, which I KNOW it is.

7. joeten

joeten

would there be a patch on nvidias site or on the mfr site to address this issue

8. LWtechsupport

LWtechsupport

The newest drivers from www.nvidia.com Jan 8, 2009 are the WHQL 181.20.

Also check and see which WHQL drivers are you currently running. Open up your nvidia control panel, on the top bar click on help -> then on system information.

9. katabby

katabby Thread Starter

Okay, 1 more time.
    I know the newest drivers are Jan 8, 2009. Version 181.20
    I currently use version 178 and when trying to update, with drivers from the Nvidia website, V 181.20, The install says the drivers only work for 32 bit Vista, and stops the install because I don't have 32 bit Vista.(So they say.)
    However, I DO have 32 bit Vista Home Premium as the only operating system that has EVER been installed on this machine.
    I appreciate the help, but please read the question carefully, and I will be glad to provide more info if needed.

10. joeten

joeten

hi i was wondering if you have service pack 1 installed this could be something that would be an issue if not also you may get more info from http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php it may be worth looking there for more info on your problem soory if you have done this already but it is somewhat of a poser at present so iam trying to cover all the bases i can to track down a solution

11. katabby

katabby Thread Starter

Yes I have SP1 installed. I read through allthe FAQ's at the Nvidia site and looked on their forum.

Attached Files:

12. joeten

joeten

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/791813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice