1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nVidia G-Force 7600gs under-performing.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

My friend has a AMD Dual Core PC Athlon 64x2 4200 with 1Gb Ram and nVidia Ge Force 7600GS Graphics Card with 512Mb Graphics Memory...dunno if its AGP or PCI-E....
    However i would have thought with these specs it would it would be able to play games no bother but he seems to play games like.....Supreme Commander, Medal Honor and Gothic 3 and the frame rate slws right down so i suspect this may be the FX card...its always been like that... is this FX card under-performing? if so what are his options? the CPU he has is socket 939....
    He has never changed any settings in the nVidia control centre... could they be set on a lower standard setting?

2. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=717&model2=722&chart=318

If you look thru the various tests on that page, you will notice that the 7600 is only an average performer at best. Being a 939 board the card could be either agp or pci-e. Upgrading to 1gb ram will help slightly, as he may be able to dedicate more mobo ram for the 7600, and still have a bit more left over for the system, ar add 2gb. If it is pci-e, then getting a good performer like the x1950 series would make a noticable difference, but also be fairly cheap, since it is EOL.

I haven't played Supreme Commander, but it is supposed to slow down many computers, especially when there are vast numbers of units.

Also make sure he has the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer patch

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

His system has 1Gb and the Grafix Card has 512Mb... how can he assign shared ram for the fx card? is it done in the BIOS like onboard graphics? i cant seem to find anythin in nVidia control centre to do this....

we have since dropped the settings down from QUALITY to PERFORMANCE and medal of honor is performing a bit better but yet to test the rest...

thanks in advance

4. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Sorry, missed that. Then the bios would be fine, no changes needed. XP wasn't designed for dual core and so some programs and games require a patch that changes the boot.ini file. This is the page I sent you earlier, make sure the patch is installed, otherwise, if there is no improvement he can go to the game options and use lower options like resolution, details, sight distances, etc. Usually changing AA and stuff as well can work, or he can use a better card where he doesn't have to worry about the settings.

5. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

yeah he's already got the patch....
    what is AA? Anti-Aliasing..? dunno how all that works... i 'think' its off anyway or on program managed...
    i think he may be in for upgrade on Graphics Card and RAM to 2Gb... he wanted to upgrade CPU but was unaware that 939 are old/scarce.. and his current 939 is probably best can get

6. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Like I said, the 7600 is only a low-mid range card and not a great performer. There are some really good deals on top performing cards which are EOL, since new cards are coming out and driving the price down. Something like an x1950 or 7900 would make a world of difference for a reasonable price.

7. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

x1950 or 7900 are those nVidia? how much are they?

8. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

The x1950 is ati. It is a fairly new card and was one of the top performing cards, but since the new cards are now out, the prices have dropped to around $120-200 USD. That is a very good deal for what you get.
    The 7900's are nvidia. They are an older card, but still a fairly good performer (depends on the versions of course). They can be had for about the same price.
    I have the 7950gt which was the last of the 7900 series and is one of the best performing cards of that series.
    You can always wait and look at the 8800gt which is supposed to come out next week. It will be among the very top performers, but only cost roughly $250 USD, about 1/3 the cost of the ultra.

9. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

thanks...dunno if he's lookin to spend £100+ on a FX card...
    I will have to ask him, but hey - thanks for all your help, much appreciated

10. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Any time, just remember that the better your video card is, the happier you will be with your games. Once you go with a very good card, you will know what I am talking about and wonder why you didn't do that years ago. I will guarantee you that a good card will be worth the extra money, and that isn't just something I say about everything I talk about.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice