1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440-SE problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rallyben, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rallyben

rallyben Thread Starter

I just got a new pci geforce 4 MX 440-SE (64mb) graphics card and I tried to add it to my system already with an AGP 3D Blaster RIVA TNT2 Ultra (32mb) but when I added it, the comp went stupid (I'm trying to run multi-monitor display). at first, it used the geforce 4 as the default instead of the 3D blaster, but I installed the drivers for the new card anyway. when I restarted the graphics went to default 16 color 640x480 and was still on the new card (still using the PCI as the default). when I went to change the display settings it said there was (default monitor) on (standard PCI graphics adapter (VGA)). I went to the advanced settings and tried to change the adapter and the card but none of them worked. I decided to take out the old card and try the new card just by it self but that didn't work either. after I decided to put the old card in and just use that cause I still had the drivers on the computer, I finally got the drivers for the card but it isn't working past the default display settings and won't show all the display options that the card can perform. (just 16, 256, and 16 bit color with 640x480, 600x800, and 1024x768 settings)(can do better display and more color before adding 2nd video card) whenever I try to update the drivers for the cards and the monitor, I just keep having to restart and the settings don't change. it gets really frustrating cause I end up going in circles.

my system stats are:
    P3 933mhz
    512mb valueRAM
    ASUS CUSL2-C
    Maxtor 40gb
    3D Blaster RIVA TNT2 Ultra 32mb(AGP)
    Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440-SE 64mb(PCI)

Those who are curious what the system is for:
    a computer used at my church for the word projecting and videos. the program I bought the 2nd video card for is called MediaShout 2.

If you could respond as quickly as possible, I would be much appriciated. I need to have this settled by Sunday 3rd, 2003 or else people won't have words to sing along in worship. Thanks alot for your responses

2. active95

active95

As a rule of thumb can't use same cards in the system. Have to "mix and match".. For instance TNT2 with a Voodoo5 .. AFAIK can't do 2 nvidia's.. Try ATI and Nvidia
    HTH

3. rallyben

rallyben Thread Starter

if I switch the AGP 3D blaster RIVA witha 3dfx voodoo banshee it should work right? if I download the drivers for the cards will I get the changable settings?

4. active95

active95

yes it should work..With one exception. In win2k will be a pain in the proverbial butt .... so if you are trying to use win2k.. at least untill sunday switch to win98.
    And for the record,. on a win98 machine a Geforce 4 Ti4600 worked flawless with a PCI Voodoo 5

5. rallyben

rallyben Thread Starter

well, the computer I use is running win98se but from what I've heard about it, its not the best or even that great. I'm having trouble downloading the drivers for the 3D blaster RIVA card and everytime I try and download a file of the drivers, it says that the file is corrupt and so it won't finish installing. if you could get me a link to the file that won't be corrupt or tell my why the files I download are corrupt, it'd be great. thx for the help

6. gsimms2000

gsimms2000

Try the Nvidia driver from this page. It should work for you just fine. It may call your card an Nvidia card rather than a 3dblaster, but atleast fix your corruption driver problem.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/riva_drivers.html

Hope this helps.

7. rallyben

rallyben Thread Starter

ok, I got the drivers to work and now the video cards works. as I said in one of my previous comments, I tried to use the 3dfx voodoo banshee (AGP) with the new nvidia geforce 4 MX 440-SE (PCI) but when I turned the computer on, I got the default display. it detected the voodoo as a default card. I changed the driver but when I looked to see what the problem is with the geforce 4 (PCI), it said that the card didnt have enough resources to run with the voodoo (AGP). I haven't messed with the resources yet but I will if I need to.

8. rallyben

rallyben Thread Starter

I need to get this problem resolved as soon as possible so if someone could be so kind as to tell me what's up or how to fix this problem it would be much appriciated

9. active95

active95

OK.. Try this..
    Go ahead and make the primary boot card PCI ( if you have this option in BIOS )
    Then go ahead and manually assign IRQ's in the BIOS ( if you have that option as well ).
    Make sure that there is a empty slot between the AGP and the PCI card ( .i.e AGP card, First PCI slot empty, PCI card ).
    After all that is done, go ahead and verify that windows device manager IRQ assignment matches the BIOS.
    Make sure that you have the Cache Video Bios and RAM option in BIOS disabled ( if you have that option.
    HTH

10. rallyben

rallyben Thread Starter

ok now I have a new problem, I want to have the banshee (AGP) as the main video card and the new geforce (PCI) as the secondard because I would use the secondary for a projector instead of a monitor. I got the banshee to work right but now it says that the geforce won't work. is there any way I can use the new card as the secondary instead of the primary?

11. rallyben

rallyben Thread Starter

I still need help with this so if you could respond as quickly as possible, I'd appriciate it.

12. rallyben

rallyben Thread Starter

I still haven't gotten this problem fixed and I need to get it done so if someone could please help me with this, I'd appriciate it

13. Xeroxide

Xeroxide

In order to choose your primary video card, you must change an appropriate setting in the bios. I had a cusl2-c with a voodoo banshee + geforce 2 mx and was able to select either PCI or AGP as the primary graphics card for the monitor. Have a look in the bios in the pci/card settings to see if it's there (btw i have bios ver 1009)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/151861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice