1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nvidia Geforce 6800 (AGP)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by toodanK, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toodanK

toodanK Thread Starter

First thing is, what is AGP "8x"? I don't get the 8x, or if I even have 8x or whatever it means.. I had a GF4 Ti 4600 but died on me awhile ago so now I'm going to buy this one if it's compatibile with my computer. Thats why I'm here, to get some advice if it is compatibile and how good is it for gaming? I'm not interested in the new games (2004+), so can I run most games under 2004 with this card? Another question, it has another name in the title at the place I'm about to purchase, "PNY Verto," what is this? When I was searching the web, it had a lot of names, such as Diablotek, eVGA, etc.. Is this a problem as is it better or worse then the other names? I have a 930MHz motherboard, 512 MB Ram, Intel P3, Windows XP SP2.. I'm not sure what the name of my motherboard is.. So, am I good to go?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

3. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Is your computer custom built or if oem what make and model?

4. colmaca

colmaca

5. sockey99

sockey99

Too,
    The GF4 was a 4x AGP card. After 4x cards came 8x cards. Ofcource 8x cards only work at 8x capability in 8x systems.
    Your system
    is only 4x capable. The 8x cards are backwards compatable to 4x and will work in your system but only at 4x. So the 8x card will preform just about the same as the old GF4.
    (Still using a Ti 4600 myself, had to replace cooling fan once)
    If the most expensive pure 4x is cheaper than the 8x, save some money and get the 4x.

PNY is a Mfg. with a decent reputation, they all use the same NVidia chips.
    Did I answer everything?

6. toodanK

toodanK Thread Starter

To not confuse anyone, I am well aware that I do have an AGP slot and a PCI slot. What my question was, what does the "8x" stand for? And if AGP "8x" is the same as AGP, or if I can run a AGP "8x" card in this AGP slot(I was thinking AGP 8x is a different kind of AGP slot then the one on my motherboard). My old card(GF4 Ti 4600) was infact a AGP card. So am I able to get this card with no problems? I'm not sure what the make/model is, where can I locate this? I'm not sure why it isn't listing AGP.. I have a PCI card in there at the moment.. Would I have to run a AGP card for it to list? Because I know I have a AGP slot since I bought a GF4 Ti 4600 which is AGP. Here is the specs on my motherboard:

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1146&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=NA

7. colmaca

colmaca

8. toodanK

toodanK Thread Starter

Okay, awesome.. Do you know of any cheap motherboards I can buy that is at least 1gb Mhz with a AGP 8x slot? Thanks for all the help and answering every question. I appericate it!

9. colmaca

colmaca

very hard to get a 370 pin mobo with a AGP8x I look at newegg and they only had 2 there 1 with AGP 4x one without.

Added if you were going to do that it would be better to get new mobo and cpu even pci:express unless you already got the 6800 video card

10. toodanK

toodanK Thread Starter

Yeah, I would rather get a PCI-E mobo (nForce4) with a new CPU but I can't at the moment.. I found this mobo but if I read it correctly, it's only 800mhz? Here take a look and let me know if I'm correct:

http://www.directron.com/nf325a7.html

11. colmaca

colmaca

12. toodanK

toodanK Thread Starter

Could you recommend a gaming card that supports 4x?

13. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Any agp 8x card will work in a 4x slot but only at 4x speed.

14. toodanK

toodanK Thread Starter

What will this affect when running in 4x from 8x?

15. colmaca

colmaca

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice