1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS TV Out function not working properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SurgNurse08, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurgNurse08

SurgNurse08 Thread Starter

I recently installed a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS video card into my Dimension 2400 desktop computer which runs Windows XP 32-bit OS. I bought this card for it's S-video capability so I can stream Netflix (or any other video) to my TV screen (which I used to do with my laptop, but it died - another story haha). I installed the card and downloaded the latest driver to my computer from the NVIDIA website (version 196.21 to be exact). I then turned off my computer, and plugged in the provided s-video cable to the back of my desktop, and connected it to a radio shack s-video to RCA (the yellow video connector for most TV's) converter and plugged it into my TV (which NVIDIA says shouldn't be a problem). I then followed the online instructions from NVIDIA on "Connecting a video card to a TV and enabling TV output". This included using the "Run television setup wizard" on the NVIDIA Control Panel. Upon following the prompts for the setup wizard I am taken to the first screen which says welcome and click next....so I do. It then takes me to the next screen so I can choose which display mode so I choose "DualView". Then it takes me to a preview screen and on my TV I see two halves of my desktop background swapped (the left is on the right and the right is on the left with a big black strip down the middle) and it is in black and white. So I go to the "Change resolution" setting on the NVIDIA control panel and try to change things around for my TV. The settings I chose are 800x600 with 60Hz refresh rate, s-video as the connector, and M/NTSC as the "TV format" as I am in the United States....then I hit apply and I see the desktop background flicker in and out of color on my tv screen for about 5 seconds and then only see a black screen, or the backward split screen image as before. Occasionally if I keep retrying the settings I will get a solid black and white picture of my desktop, no color. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and reinstalled the driver from a different download site (as I thought the download may be bad). Same problems. I have adjusted settings every which way I can think of (both in the NVIDIA control panel and under display settings) and still have nothing. I have tried clone mode, using the tv as a single monitor, dual view, and still same problems. Oddly enough as well, whenever I try to adjust the resolution settings in the NVIDIA control panel, and I choose Svideo as the connector, when I hit apply, it automatically resets itself back to "Auto select". AND, whenever I click on the green swirl "NVIDIA Settings" icon in the lower right corner by the clock, my tv screen flickers with the color image of my desktop, but won't stay. I am at a loss, have tried every setting I can think of, and don't know what to do next. I even tried using another television and had the same issues. I wrote to NVIDIA and they have not responded. :mad: Thanks for any help!

2. SurgNurse08

SurgNurse08 Thread Starter

In case you are wondering as well, I have disabled/uninstalled the other VGA adapter and the NVIDIA card is working perfectly in ever other aspect except the tv out function.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/906264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice