1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nvidia Geforce 9500 Graphics Card Grainy Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mintybreath, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mintybreath

mintybreath Thread Starter

Hi everybody. I recently finished my first build, and am currently trying to work though some problems that I hope someone can help me with.

So as soon as I got it working I decided to test out my games. Hitman Blood Money, and Left4Dead worked perfectly fine. I decided next logical test would be Team Fortress 2. When that started up it worked initially. After a few minutes and graphical tweaks it started trying to redisplay the game. It flipped out, stopped displaying text and buttons, and then only displayed 4 slightly different colored giant squares on the screen. I hit alt+F4, and ctrl+alt+delete to try and get out, which didnt work. The computer just restarted on its own.

Luckily it started back up without a hitch, so I tried Garry's Mod. Same thing happened. At this point i decided to reinstall the graphics drivers. After that finished I tried again, same thing happened. This time i was fortunate enough to alt+F4 out in time, so it didnt restart. After this I decided to look towards my Nvidia options for the answer.

I changed the refresh rate to 75 hertz (Highest Option), and changed the performance settings from "Quality" to "Performance".

After this, again, I tried TF2 and it finally worked! ... temporarily. I got into a game and it seemed to work great, until I exited out and a new problem arrose. The previous problem only happened in games, but this one was both in and out of them. This one was leaving stray pixels on the screen whenever refreshes happened. (Like when i moved the window)

Its really hard to explain so I took a picture and uploaded it to my Photobucket account.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr41/xxmintybreathxx/WTFness.jpg

After monkeying around trying to fix it, I gave up only having come to the deduction that: "Quality" and "High Quality" cause some games to go haywire, and "Performance" and "High Performance" causes everything to go haywire.

Here are my specs:
    The graphics card is a GeForce 9500 GT with 1 gig of GDDR2 RAM.

Using a 2.8 Ghz Dual core processor, with a P5N-E Sli mobo.
    (Need more specifics just ask)

The OS is Windows XP

What I've been assuming is that my graphics card has some hardware issue of some sort. This seems most logical to me.

I hope someone has a clue whats going on here!
    Thanks in advance

2. mintybreath

mintybreath Thread Starter

Sorry for the double post, but the Edit option was gone... ? I think... weird...

Anyway, If any of your think this is more a game issue, could you please tell me. That way I can move onto the steam forums instead. I think it belongs here though, because to me it seems like more of a hardware issue

If it is a problem with my graphics card then I'll need to know before the end of the month so I can ship it back to newegg for a replacement so please if any of you have any idea (Even a slight idea) I would greatly appreciate it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/862507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice