1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, 690, or 780?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MashR2toKill, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MashR2toKill

MashR2toKill Thread Starter

Hi guys. I am planning on upgrading my GTX 555 OEM cause its a little to low end for my taste. The question I have for all the tech-savy people out there is which graphics card should I get? A Geforce GTX 680, 690, or 780? I've heard that the 690 is basically 2 680s running in SLI. If that's true, that means any games that wont work with SLI or don't perform well with SLI, will still have the same problems and I wont be able to do anything about it. So i was wondering which one do you think I should get? I wanna be able to run any next gen games on max settings if not, one below max settings.

Thanks.

2. trevordk

trevordk

Well, yes and no. Not everyone has problems running in SLI, experiences do vary. It's largely based on WHAT games you'll be playing, though.

What are your system specs, and what size is your tower? Those are all BIG cards and require lots of a room, a lot of midtowers aren't good for airflow.

I would forgo the 690, if you were looking at a single card and wanted to avoid some of the issues with the 690, you could go for a Titan at an equivalent price-point but with only one GPU - though these cards (690, Titan) are very expensive and in my personal opinion are not worth the price/performance ratio when compared to less expensive models (670, 680/780 - AMD's 7950/7970).

To absolutely max graphics-intensive games like Crysis 3 (2560x1440 + 60FPS, Full AA, AO, etc.), SLI/XFire is pretty much required at this point. From what I have read, many can max it on a 680 without AA/AO/Vsync enabled and hit in the 30-50FPS ballpark.

3. MashR2toKill

My system specs are as follows:

800W power supply.
    i7 -3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
    16GB of RAM

I have a mid sized Alienware Aurora ALX Chassis with active venting. I also have a liquid cooler in it. So i'm pretty sure cooling isnt going to be a problem. If you want i could even take a picture of the inside of my chassis and you can tell me if it would be big enough.

If you need any more info, feel free to ask.

4. trevordk

trevordk

I'm not 100% certain on the exact size (I have an AMD rig) but I would, depending on the manufacturer, think you would be looking at 10"-12" likely.

Like I said previously though, 690/Titan would give you close to full maximization on ANY game, but would still need to SLI to fully maximize certain games (Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light, etc.). I think the 780 would be more in line with what you would like to do while remaining cost-efficient. The extra you would squeeze out with a 690/Titan isn't really worth the extra cost at this point, IMO. However, if you can afford it and want it, then Titan would be the absolute best choice.

5. MashR2toKill

Thank you very much. From what you said, I think I will go with the 780. Mostly cause of cost. Thank you for your input.

6. trevordk

trevordk

No problem! I agree though, I wouldn't spend more than around $500 for a top tier gaming card, the $1000 pricetags on the 690's and Titans are pretty steep. But, I'm confident you'll get the performance you want from the 780. I don't have much experience with it personally but I've a friend who recently bought one and it's been looking and working great on his rig. Good luck!

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    These are their benchmark scores:

GeForce GTX 680 - 5702

GeForce GTX 690 - 5073

GeForce GTX 780 - 7940

The 780 is way ahead of the 680 and 690.

-----------------------------------------------

8. trevordk

trevordk

Not to contradict or step on toes, but random scores from an unknown source are kind of arbitrary when choosing a graphics card. What is that scoring from?

Here is an example of benchmarking I use to determine how good a gaming card is:
    http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4419/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review-titan-light

Although the 780 performs very well, the 690 frequently scores better across all gaming benchmarks (as well as 3DMark).

My conclusion: The 690 is ahead of the 780 as far as raw performance, however the 780 has a much better price/performance ratio and it doesn't make much economic sense to choose the 690 over the 780 for gaming.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice