nvidia geforce mx4000 fried my motherboard?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pferris83

hi im a newb :) i have a win98 with a p3 (all that i really know about it). I purchased a geforce mx4000 and went to install it.... thought this would help with the error i was receiving while trying to play the sims2. Anyhow I went to power on and...nothing, no fan, no lights, completely dead. So I took it out and put back my old card, geforce 2. Went to power on again... nothing. So, my next move was trying to install the mx4000 on my other machine win98 p2 (i believe). Same problem, my first inital thought was the power supply, tried swapping them, that did not result in any progress. I also called Nvidia and the only advise they gave me was to take out the button cell battery and put it back in after a minute...worthless. :confused: So I took both machines to my parents, they are pretty tech savvy. They are letting me use their xp machine while I get this whole mess figured out. I returned toe mx4000 for a refund, too frustrated to even risk trying to put it in the xp machine and fry it as well. So basically my question... what happened and why? Is it safe to try another mx4000 in the xp machine? Thanx for any help.

i doubt your fried anything, you just tried to put a new card in an old machine, on your old machine I would try to reset the bios before you try to fire it up., without knowing anything about your hardware, mobo make and model, what type of gfx slot etc. its kind of hard to help you.

pferris83

Yes, already tried that on one of the machines at least. Still though why would it make the machine not power on?

may be not enough power? the newer video card are power hogs (ok everything newer is a power hog)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!