1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NVIDIA Graphics Card not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Melvinjose1403, Feb 9, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. Melvinjose1403

Melvinjose1403 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Melvin Jose
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191115222357.000000+240
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 11, CPU Count: 8
    Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (369 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP 8533, ver 70.31, s/n PHRXPD51WBTHZN
    System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 2, s/n CND9032VDR
    Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I have a HP Laptop which I bought around 6 months ago with the above specifications. It had a Intel HD graphics card and a 4GB Nvidia Geforce MX130 Graphics card. But around one month ago, the NVIDIA card stopped working. I had tried to rollback the graphics driver to a older version but it still doesnt't work. Please help. I have also attached the problem the graphics card shows in Device Manager.

Thanks in advance
    Melvin problem.png

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2020
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What is the exact product number(P/N) on your HP laptop?

Click the "Driver" tab and then submit a new image of that NVIDIA GeForce MX130 graphic device's properties window.

You should get rid of Avast Antivirus and stick with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app: Windows Security aka Windows Defender.
    Windows 10 can have issues (more so in laptops) when using a third-party antivirus app.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Melvinjose1403 likes this.
  3. Melvinjose1403

First Name:
    Melvin Jose
    Sorry I got caught up in my college works and totally forgot about the forum. I sincerely apologize for the late reply.
    • Regarding the product number of my laptop, it is 5KS13EA#ABV
    • I have uninstalled avira and rolled back to windows defender as per your advice
    • I have attached the screenshot of the video card's properties.
    I'll try to reply sooner hereafter and I apologize again.
    Thanks,
    Melvin

Attached Files:

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the product number you submitted and the serial number in your log, you have THIS HP 15-da1006ne Notebook PC which came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    According to its warranty section, it was purchased on January 18, 2019, so its warranty expired 29 days ago.

According to its product specifications section (which matches the hardware in your log), it came with:
    Intel Core i7-8565U 1.80 GHz quad core processor
    (has Intel UHD Graphics 620 integrated graphics)
    16 GB(8 GB X 2) DDR4-2400 RAM
    1 TB SATA 5400 rpm hard drive
    NVIDIA GeForce MX130 4 GB GDDR5 dedicated graphics

I'm not a hardware expert, nor am I familiar with laptops that have 2 graphics devices, so be patient until someone else here who is responds.
    Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Hybrid video can be a pain to get working AND there is always the possibility that the nvidia card itself has failed.
    You can attempt the following however I would be sure and have a current backup of anything important ie docs, videos, whatever.
    1 Go to the support page for you laptop; there is a link in flavallee's post above
    2 Download the following; chipset or inf driver, intel driver, nvidia driver. Download the latest of each of those
    3 Install the chipset driver and reboot when prompted
    4 Install the intel video driver; reboot when prompted
    5 Install the nvidia driver and again reboot when prompted

See if it works now. Note do not download any driver other than what is on the support page ie do not go to the nvidia site, intel site OR use any driver utility; just the drivers from the hp site.

6. Melvinjose1403

First Name:
    Melvin Jose
    Thanks for trying to help me.

7. Melvinjose1403

First Name:
    Melvin Jose
    i'll try them and report if there was any good news.

Thanks
    Melvin

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

crjdriver has jumped in and is one of the respected hardware experts here, so I'll leave you with him to try to resolve your issue. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. Blu_86

Blu_86

I concur with CJ's advice it is a PITA at times to get a dual GPU laptop working correctly once it's out of whack (GPU wise). I have worked on many of these over the past 7 or so years since dual GPU laptops were a thing. When you download these drivers for your laptop be sure to have them sitting on your system somewhere where you can easily find them and I recommend that you disconnect from the net both wired and wireless (make sure auto-connect is disabled on your wifi) and when installing these drivers be offline. Windows 10 has a bad habit of installing it's own set of default drivers once you uninstall your current.

10. Melvinjose1403

First Name:
    Melvin Jose
    OK I'll follow ur advice
    Thanks

11. Melvinjose1403

First Name:
    Melvin Jose
    So, I followed your and Blu_86's advice. I downloaded them and installed and rebooted one by one.
    • So while installing chipset update, the screen went black for maybe 30 seconds and came back again but there was no dialog box saying whether the update has been installed or not.
    • So, moving on both installations of intel video card and nvidia video card updates behaved similarly. They both got unpacked by hp installer, Then, a blank command prompt appeared for maybe 2-3 minutes then it disappeared. Again, there was no dialog box saying the update failed or succeded.
    • And, at the end the problem is still there.
    Am I doing anything wrong or is there any other way to solve it?

Thanks
    Melvin

12. Blu_86

Blu_86

On your product page here I see no less than 7 nvidia GPU drivers and 11 Intel GPU drivers. From your OP it sounds like possibly a Windows Update or something along those lines may have affected your NV-GPU settings not sure. I also see some BIOS updates, and Intel chipset INF updates. If it were me I would open up the nvidia control panel - top toolbar/help/system information and take down that specific driver number and get in touch with HP support tell them your issues or even in their forums where others have the same model you have and see if others have the same issue. I would also use the HP_PushButton Reset and take it back to factory condition and drivers that is one absolute way to know if it's an OS/update issue or a hardware issue.

13. Melvinjose1403

First Name:
    Melvin Jose
    Hmm, Can you say how to do that that reset then. And, I can't open that nvidia control panel too.

Thanks,
    Melvin

14. Blu_86

Blu_86

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do remember there is always the chance your nvidia chip has failed. This is not an uncommon condition on laptops since they run hot. If installing the drivers in the order referenced does not fix the problem your video may have failed. As a simple test of the video, boot the system with a linux live usb. Linux will allow you to select which video to use ie intel or nvidia. If the nvidia works under linux, then you know the chip is ok; if not, you know it has failed. Use linux Mint for this task.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice