1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NVIDIA graphics cards don't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KazukiMatsuoka1998, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KazukiMatsuoka1998

KazukiMatsuoka1998 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kazuki
    Hello,

I purchased a PC from a store called Standard computers years ago, it had 16 gig of ram with a NVIDIA Quadro and a NVIDIA GeoForce graphics card including the ASROCK motherboard.

A couple of months ago, all of a sudden the computer just wouldn't power on. With the help of telecoil, I found that there was something wrong with the power so we replaced the power source connected in the PC itself but that didn't work, it was the motherboard that was broken.

So we replaced that with an ASUS motherboard that is compatible with with the hardware we have, it'll power up and work like a normal computer but for some reason, when I put the two graphics cards back in, they just won't work.

What can I do to get them working again?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

3. KazukiMatsuoka1998

First Name:
    Kazuki

Sorry for the late reply, here are the computer specifications:

6 GIG of RAM
    250GIG on master drive
    1TB on slave drive
    NVIDIA Geforce GT 610 graphics card
    NVIDIA Quadro K620
    DiskSoft Virtual SCSI ScRom Device
    PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209D
    Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
    Intel (R) Core ™ i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz
    Acer X193W (Digital) Monitor
    Manufacturer: Standard Computers

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am really not understanding your statement. You say the system pw ON and works normally; then you install video cards and it does not work. How are you getting video without the video cards installed? Does this system have onboard/onchip video or what? Next you really really have to post your exact specs. 6gig of ram does not tell use much; you need to post the brand and model# of each part. Most parts have either a label or they will have the mfg and part# silkscreened on the board itself.

5. KazukiMatsuoka1998

First Name:
    Kazuki

It has 16 gig of ram, sorry.
    The PC came pre made with the video cards and everything installed. The motherboard has it's own htmi input so it can work without the video cards.

The motherboard was previously broken so it was replaced with an ASUS motherboard similar to the original, to do that, I took out the video cards, intel processor, fans, and ram into the new one to properly configure the new motherboard without the video cards. After that when the PC was restored with everything okay, I put the video cards back in.
    What puzzles me now is that when I put the cards back, it doesn't show any video, they don't seem to work if I use them as a video output.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In order to help you, you really need to post your specs. We have no idea what motherboard you are using [other than asus]
    If you built the system, it should be very easy to post your exact specs.

Did you clean install windows or did you simply use the hard drive with the old windows install?

7. KazukiMatsuoka1998

First Name:
    Kazuki
    I got the original hard drive and put it in the new motherboard. No clean install.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well you just answered your question. Unless you follow the procedure outlined at the top of the forum for swapping motherboards without a clean install, it will almost always have problems.

9. KazukiMatsuoka1998

First Name:
    Kazuki
    Could you explain how that works? Why would that create problems? Plus, that's terrible, why go through a clean install? I got my windows 10 for free through Microsoft, I can't obtain it again, I only have my original Windows 8.1 disk with it's serial key.

I did this with a family member who is an expert with IT, he made his own computer and did the exact same thing, take his old hard drive from his old computer and put it in his new one with the same graphics cards - no problems.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well you have a problem. Have you read the guide? It explains WHY you cannot do this or at least why it often does not work. In addition, you have another problem. If you have a retail ver of windows, then it is not a problem. Win10 installs with a win7/8key [just did it yesterday] however IF you have an OEM type windows lic ie what comes on a dell, hp or other pre-built system, then you need a new windows lic. OEM type lic live and die with the original hardware. You change the motherboard and you need a new copy of windows.

11. KazukiMatsuoka1998

First Name:
    Kazuki

All right, thank you very much for your help. I will do that. I will come back if anything comes up and or the cards still don't work.

12. tecknurd

tecknurd

In the BIOS, set graphics from iGPU to PCIe. Power down the computer, remove DVI/HDMI or VGA cable from integrated graphics and connect it to the dedicated video card. Power on the computer. If you don't see the video, do the following steps.

Remove the Quadro card and use GeForce for video. Does it work?

Remove the GeForce card and use Quadro for video. Does it work?

You can get Windows 10 for free and install it. In order to use it past 30 days, you will have to buy a copy of Windows 10. Microsoft provides Windows 10 as a download which will give you a serial key (of course after buying it) or you can go through the Windows store within Windows to buy the CD key or serial key.

crjdriver, your guide is questionable. If there is no visual, I would take all add-on cards out and power up the computer, but only if the computer has onboard graphics. Also, I would have check if there any settings in the BIOS/UEFI that is related to graphics and change those settings if they are not on AUTO. Troubleshooting computers require a flow chart. OP did post all the hardware for me to diagnose the problem.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

REALLY??? I do not see where the poster posted the exact motherboard he is using [other than asus] Since asus mfg a LOT of motherboards, we have no idea.
    As to your "Diagnosis" I doubt it is correct. The system works with onboard video. When you insert a real video card, the onboard is disabled and bios set accordingly. All modern asus boards will do this.

I agree that he should install one card at a time however that does not change the fact that the poster needs a new windows lic. This was a mfg system and he changed the motherboard. OEM type lic are valid with the original hardware ONLY. Change the board and you need a new lic.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  14. tecknurd

tecknurd

I have an ASUS motherboard and it didn't automatically switch to the dedicated video card when I mounted it. I had to change an option in the BIOS/UEFI that is related to graphics from iGPU to PCIe. There is no AUTO option. The motherboard model is P8H77-I from ASUS. I also have ASUS B75M-PLUS and the options is the same, so I used what I know for the OP problem. I didn't need to know the model of the motherboard and RAM that you ask. Over years of using my ASUS P8H77-I, I have memorized the BIOS options.

Carey Holzman's videos do show how to download Microsoft Windows 10 from Microsoft and install it. Microsoft freely provides a free download of Windows 10 that you can install. Microsoft does require that the user pays for a license if the user wants to continue using Windows 10 after 30 days. This can be done through Windows store within Windows 10 or buy a download version of Windows 10 through a reputable retailer. Of course, the Windows 10 version that you are buying through the retailer has to be the same as the one you installed.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is not a modern motherboard. That board is now 6yrs old; hardly modern. Win10 is not even listed as a supported OS.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice