1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NVIDIA GT555M / Power Failure on Dell XPS L702x

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thepalad, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thepalad

thepalad Thread Starter

Here is a really baffling one for you..

I got my brand new Dell XPS L702X laptop with the following specs about 3 weeks ago:

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2GHz
    6GB RAM
    NVIDIA GT555m 3GB (Dedicated Memory)
    Intel HD Graphics (1.5GB Shared Memory)
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Let me just quickly explain to anyone that's confused by the dual graphics: Dell XPS's with dedicated graphics cards effectivley run 2 cards: the integrated Intel HD graphics with it's shared video memory (shared with RAM), AND it runs the dedicated NVIDIA GT555m. For windows, it uses the Intel HD graphics, but when I run a game, it knows to use the NVIDIA card.

Now for the problem: About one day after installing TomTom Home software (for updating a sat nav device from your pc) it failed to boot - it loads the window screen, then goes into windows, but crashes to a black screen before the desktop ever appears (so i'm guessing it's failing explorer.exe. After a few hard reboots, it eventually loaded windows, but after a short while, it will crash a program in a strange way - take for example IE. I can open IE and go onto a website like facebook, then (sometimes) if i open a new window, IE fails to respond, you need to shut the process down in task manager to stop it. There's the other trouble, using ctrl+alt+del takes ages, then pressing 'open task manager' crashes the laptop to a black screen. I uninstalled the tom tom sofware and no change. I've booted it into safe mode with no problems whatsoever. After running virus scans and scandisk, i ruled out virus or hard drive failure. Eventually, I tried uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers - and it works fine.

So now, I have got to the stage of having the lasted NVIDIA drivers reinstalled, but 'disabling' the card from the device manager, so it is only using the Intel HD graphics. It works fine like that, no crashes or anything. If I enable it, it works fine for a bit but will eventually crash. Just to point out, when it is working, I can play GTA IV in almost highest graphics with no lag - so surely it can't be a burnt out GPU on the NVIDIA card?

In addition, two times during all this mess up, it crashed to BSOD with something about 'DRIVER_STATE_POWER_FAILURE'

So, any ideas ?!?! Is this a battery issue? Power issue? Graphics Card failing? I'm really really stumped.

(I apologise for the length of this post but I really did need to explain everying!)

2. thepalad

thepalad Thread Starter

I'm guessing nobody knows at the minute :( but a further development...it only seems to crash when the NVIDIA card is activated AND when it is plugged in charging, especially when it reaches 100% charge....any ideas??

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its brand new I'd be contacting Dell. But you may just have to run the Dell Factory Restore and put it back to its original state and see if it works.

4. thepalad

thepalad Thread Starter

I've run the dell factory restore...no change, and run the bootup dell system scanning software, and it found nothing wrong! my worry is dell will take it and then say "nope nothing wrong" and try fob me off....so that's why i was hoping someone on here might know something...guess not so i'll have to try and trust dell..

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the problem occurs after doing a Factory Restore then its a hardware problem and will need to be fixed by Dell. This is a perfect case for a warranty claim. My guess would be that either the motherboard or graphics card is faulty, could be a power module if the laptop has a separate one, but all those require Dell service.

6. thepalad

thepalad Thread Starter

Thanks Triple6...I will contact Dell Support and when (if) they fix it I'll post here what it was incase any future individual with the same laptop has the same problem

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1022441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice