Nvidia GTX 960 Drivers problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Maksy13

Hey, I have a problem with my GTX 960 Drivers, so I had a nice 12 hour driver problem (That's how long it took me to get it working) so I got the card yesterday and I couldn't install the drivers through the CD/Disk Program installer that comes with the graphics card because it just says "Failed" every time so I tried install the newest Graphics Driver manually which is 361.91 WHQL and it installed... but when I restarted my Display Device was still called "Standard VGA Adapter" so after 12 hours of Googling what to do and what was wrong and trying all them things I thought. "Oh I'll install the older driver" So then I install the driver that is just a bit older which was the 361.43 WHQL. And now guess what... IT WORKS but I still have no "Nvidia Control Panel" and I really need it and when I try to download Geforce Experience then it just says failed as well, just anything to do with the Nvidia Installer doesn't work... Any help please?

Attachments

You don't mention uninstalling your previous drivers before installing new ones, but I assume you know that. It might help to use a third party uninstaller from safe mode just in case. Typically you would perform your regular uninstall from Control Panel, boot into safe mode and run the uninstall utility. The go to utility used to be Driver Sweeper, it's been replaced by DDU or Driver Uninstaller. Google either one and you should find a Major Geeks page link. Another trick you might try is to copy your installation CD to the hard drive and try running it from there. Also note that really finicky antiviruses might see false positives and stop the install. You can go into safe mode to run the installation as well so you can turn off the antivirus with impunity.

Maksy13

Oh yeh... I also changed from AMD to Nvidia GPU but I uninstalled the old drivers after I got my new GTX 960 Put in my PC, anyway I will try to put the CD files onto my Hard Drive.

Last edited:
It's still a good idea to use a third party uninstaller, I think AMD has one of its own (amdcleanuputility). Graphics companies are vain. They think your only uninstalling to reinstall their stuff so they often leave things behind like certain settings and preferences as well as registry entries and other tools like overclocking utilities and things of that nature that may have been installed as separate entries in control panel. Many of these things can mess with your new install, especially if your changing manufacturers.

Maksy13

I have already used DDU in Safe Mode and I uninstalled all old drivers.

Last edited:
Are you sure your nvidia control panel link isn't in the windows control panel? I was always used to it being an icon in the task bar but not so lately.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online