1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nvidia GTX960m not detected at all

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonp1891, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonp1891

jonp1891 Thread Starter

6 months ago i went to the US for vacation and bought an asus K501UW laptop with Nvidia gtx960M, as i work on my desktop, never used it a lot.

Today i've tried to run a game and it says i need a better GPU, when i cheked dxdiag, Intel graphics was detected as display adapter. Nvidia control panel wasn't even opening.

Unsitalled nvidia drivers and wont be able to install again with default nvidia installer as it doesn't find hardware.

Nvidia GPU won't appear in device manager, not even as hidden hardware.

When i boot into bios and go to Advanced/Graphic Configuration i only get "DVMT Pre-Allocated and a 64M option". PS: bios seems to be updated to last versio avilable. Can't find any nvidia GPU information there.

Disabled Intel graphics and now it seems im running on onboard lowres vga. I can enable Intel graphics again, but theres no way to find nvidia adapter.

There's no way to install drivers as the GPU seems absolutely missing, not sure if vga was ever detected by the computer.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS K501UW Laptop (support site)

It appears it came with Windows 10 Home or Pro 64-bit.

It appears it came with one of these processors:
    Intel Core i5-6200U 2.30 GHz dual core (Intel HD Graphics 520)
    Intel Core i7-6500U 2.50 GHz dual core (Intel HD Graphics 520)

It appears it came with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphic device with 2 GB/4 GB of video memory.

HERE is the most current Windows 10 64-bit driver for the Intel graphic device.

HERE is the most current Windows 10 64-bit driver for the NVIDIA graphic device.

-------------------------------------------------------------

3. jonp1891

jonp1891 Thread Starter

Indeed, Windows 10 Home 64-bit reinstalled to factory default, Core i7-6500U 2.50 GHz with Intel HD Graphics 520 and nvidia geforce GTX 960m. You think should i try those drivers after a clean windows install and complete nvidia drivers removal?

STATUS UPDATE: right after factory reset, nvidia drivers are back.

Nvidia control panel won't open.

Nvidia geforce experience won't open and throw the "need nvidia hardware" message.

An unknown device now appeared at the device manager.

Inthel graphics still as the only display adapter on device manager.

Im running DDU to unistall nvidia drivers, not sure how to proceed after that.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    When you start the install process for the NVIDIA driver, select the "custom" option and then uncheck the extras you don't need, then select the "clean install" option.
    See if that helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. jonp1891

jonp1891 Thread Starter

After DDU i've removed the whole default nvidia thing that wasn't opening or working at all.

Im exactly just whre i've started, can't find the device and nvidia drivers won't install after failing system check because missing hardware.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It looks like you're not the only person who had a problem after using the Display Driver Uninstaller third-party tool.
    Here is one example.

Capture.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. jonp1891

jonp1891 Thread Starter

:( anyway, gpu wasn't listed before DDU already. Just did it as it seems the only way to really remove drivers and start from a clean point. But as nvidia drivers won't find hardward, and isn't listed on device manager, there's no way to start anything...

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Using a third party uninstaller is just asking for a problem. It very often uninstalls chipset drivers also [which would account for not finding hardware]
    Here is what I would do;
    1 Go to the support site that Frank linked to and download the chipset [inf] driver, intel driver, and the nvidia driver
    2 Using control panel NOT a third party program, uninstall your nvidia and intel drivers
    3 Install the chipset/mb driver. Reboot when prompted
    4 Install the intel driver. Reboot when prompted
    5 Install the nvidia driver. Reboot when prompted

Do not use drivers from anywhere else ie nvidia site, intel, etc. Hybrid video is problematic at best and usually only works with drivers from the system mfg.

9. jonp1891

jonp1891 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your answer. Intel drivers provided by frank won't install on my pc (not valid for this computer, obtain appropiate driver from the computer manofacturer), also it seems he didn't provided the chipset drivers link, i could download from asus support. That would work?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The inf or chipset driver is right on the support page; I just checked.
    You must use drivers from the support page ONLY. As I said, hybrid video is problematic at best and attempting to use any other driver is bound to fail.

11. jonp1891

jonp1891 Thread Starter

Ok, i'm on it :)

12. jonp1891

jonp1891 Thread Starter

Had to install Intel drivers in troubleshoot mode (win 8 compatibility or something like that) even if i downloaded from asus official win10 section, and the drivers zip is named under win 1064ver; otherwise it won't run. Also, seems thats windows installs its own drivers on intel graphics after unistalled control panel, so i've got the "you're installing older drivers" warning. After rebbot, there was a black command window with green font but it closed, just read the word "graphics" on it.

After that, it was nvidia drivers time. Just failed again, "this graphics drivers could not find compatible graphics hardware"

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With all of the install/uninstall and using a third party utility, you might be looking at a clean install of windows. You posted you did a clean install previously; how exactly did you accomplish this task? Did you boot from install media, delete ALL partitions on the drive then install OR did you do this from within windows?

14. jonp1891

jonp1891 Thread Starter

Did it from win 10 reset tool, seems deleted everything and take the whole system to factory conditions (except bios which was also updated trying to fix this thing, nothing changed). At this point i started to thing it's a factory hardware problem as i never saw nvidia stuff working ond this lapĀ“top; and as i bought it during a trip i'll have to live with it :(

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before giving up, clean install windows from a boot usb. Use the media creation tool to download/create your boot usb. Be sure you delete ALL partitions on the drive during setup.
    Note this destroys ALL data on the drive so be sure you have a current backup of anything important.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice