Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVIDIA High Definition Audio has a driver problem

4K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  Synthessence 
#1 ·
I'm having an incredibly frustrating time trying to fix a royal screw up that happened to me very recently, and am at my wits end trying to solve it. I really hope someone here can help me.

My computer is an HP. I noticed that graphics card (NVIDIA GTX 550 TI) had a driver update, so naturally I started to install it. Fate flickered my power in the middle of the install, and when my computer restarted, the screen refused to come on. Great. I booted with safe mode, and tried to install the driver that way, but it wouldn't work. Welp, I have a save state just before the install, so lets just roll back! Roll back worked, screen is fine now, but my sound refuses to work. Speaker Icon in the lower right corner has the red x over it, and I can't figure it out. So far I have...

Reinstalled the audio driver on the NVIDIA card.
Uninstalled all sound related drivers and reinstalled them.
Jiggling the handle.
Cursing

Nothing has worked so far. If anyone can give me a hand, I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 ·
Install the audio drivers. The HP site should have a driver package for the audio chipset.

The nVidia HD audio that you are referring to is the audio chipset for the HDMI port. So you should likely see at least two audio chipsets listed in Device Manager.

#5 ·
What's the model name and complete model number of your HP computer?
What's the exact part/product number(P/N) on it?

What Windows version(XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10) and bit version(32, 64) is it running?

---------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
I'm using Windows 7, and it is 64 bit. The exact information on my computer is as such:

HP Pavilion P6000 series.

Product Number: Bt552AA#ABA.

Model Number: p6674y

I recently installed a previously used driver, but sound still will not work.

(Also, starting up is taking much longer than it used to. After windows screen, I'm staring at a black screen with a mouse icon on it for 30-45 seconds before my background finally shows up. Oh, and I've been getting a few blue screens here and there. So very, very frustrating.)

#7 ·
Check Device Manager and see what hardware is listed. As noted above, you should see at least two audio chispets listed.

Driver issues aside, "hardware not installed" typically means the hardware is not seen by Windows. Which means the hardware is not found or recognized (ie: not installed or faulty hardware).

If it's listed in Device Manager, it's likely a driver issue. If it's not listed in Device Manager, it's likely faulty.

The slow boot would seem to indicate a hardware fault.

#8 · (Edited)
HP Pavilion p6674y Desktop PC (BT552AA#ABA)

It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and has ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics and has a 250 watt power supply.

The GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card that you installed in it uses 116 watts and requires a minimum of a 400 watt power supply.

The most current Windows 7 64-bit driver at the NVIDIA drivers site for that graphics card is 358.50(9.18.13.5850).

The most current Windows 7 64-bit driver at the ATI/AMD drivers site for that integrated graphics device is Catalyst Software Suite 13.9(8.97.100.11).
The driver listed for it at the HP site is 8.733.0.0.

-------------------------------------------------

#10 ·
If you're going to stick with that HP generic 250 watt power supply, you should switch to a graphics card that doesn't require so much power and still has a decent benchmark score.

The GeForce GT 720 works fine for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#11 ·
Well, installed the drivers, that didn't seem to help. Oh, and since I haven't posted it yet, this is what I see under sounds/video and game controllers in my Device Manager:

! Microsoft Streaming Clock Proxy
! Microsoft Streaming Quality Manager Proxy
! Microsoft Streaming Service Proxy
! Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter
! Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter
! Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers
! NVIDIA High Defintion Audio
! Realtek High Definition Audio

#13 · (Edited)
Realtek High Definition Audio is your computer's integrated audio device.

NVIDIA High Definition Audio is your graphic card's integrated audio device.

I have no need for the graphic card's integrated audio, so I do a "custom" install of the graphic driver and uncheck the audio driver.

It's my guess you chose the default install option and installed everything.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

#15 ·
In Device Manager, uninstall the Realtek chipset, and reboot.

As you are using an HP, try manually reinstalling the audio (Realtek) drivers for your model from the HP website.

And as you mentioned "Fate flickered my power", it's entirely possible the chipset is actually faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.