1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nVidia MX400 Video Card & Win XP - Freeze

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wogus, Jul 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wogus

Wogus Thread Starter

I recently installed one of Nvidia's MX400 video cards on my computer and almost immediately began having my system completely freeze up. Sometimes there would be a spontaneous re-boot, but not usually. Sometimes there would be a short delay (1-15 minutes) before everything would seize, sometimes I could not completely boot before seizing, but seizing was inevitable.

On occasion, I would get an error message telling me that (to paraphrase) Windows had detected an error related to the driver for the MX 400. Ah ha!!

So... I removed the MX400 and replaced it with my old card, downloaded the newest driver, followed the instructions and replaced the MX400. Rebooted and had the same problem.

I read numerous posts in this forum from others with what sounds EXACTLY like my problem. Someone suggested it could be heat. So, I tried running the MX400 with the sides of my case off and a fan blowing into the rear of the case. The problem continued unabated.

Here are the system vitals... It's a home-made "moe-sheen" so there is no brand-name:

Windows XP Pro
    512 Mb PC 2100
    Dual HDD (20G C: & 10G D:)
    TDK CD Burner & Compaq CD ROM

MoBo Specs (from the box):
    1st Mainboard (Manufacturer)
    Model AN-11
    Support Socket A CPU
    VIA KT266+8233 Chipset
    AGP4X Support+ATA 100
    Promise RAID (I have no RAID devices installed, however)

From the mobo manual... if it's important:

"the motherboard is installed one (sic) 32-bit 1.5V AGP 2X/4X bus with a dedicated 66MHz/133MHz path from the graphics card to the system memory..."

So now my question is... after reading many of the other posts, I don't recall seeing any where the MX 400 user actually got the card to work. Should I just cut my losses and return the card, or do you think this is something that can be worked out??

Many thanks in advance.

2. wedor

wedor

Your error messaged directed you to a driver error, nothing was mentioned about heat.

I don't understand this part,

"So... I removed the MX400 and replaced it with my old card, downloaded the newest driver, followed the instructions and replaced the MX400. Rebooted and had the same problem"

You had the same problem with your old card? or another MX card?

3. Wogus

Wogus Thread Starter

Wedor... I'll try to clarify...

I read elsewhere in this (Hardware) forum that others who were having this problem with this card and similar configurations were being told to check if heat buildup was causing the problem. So I tried to cool things to see if it was. Taking the sides off and using a fan to accomplish this cooling did not solve the problem.

As for where you say: "I don't understand this part,

"So... I removed the MX400 and replaced it with my old card, downloaded the newest driver, followed the instructions and replaced the MX400. Rebooted and had the same problem"

You had the same problem with your old card? or another MX card?"

Since the computer was freezing while using the MX400, I had to remove it, reinstall my original video card (not an MX400) that was working, to download the newest drivers for the MX400. The new MX 400 drivers were then installed, the system was shutdown, the MX400 itself was then reinstalled and the system was booted with MX400 and new drivers.

Even with the newest drivers installed, my system would still freeze up with the MX400 installed. If I remove it, and go back to my original card, everything runs fine. I don't know much about the old video card, except that it's a pretty basic card (Sis 300).

Also, and I don't know if it matters, but the original video card fit the AGP slot, while the MX400 is a PCI. Again... don't know if it matters.

Does that help?

4. wedor

wedor

So did you un-install your old card from device manager and remove all the drivers before installing the MX?

5. Wogus

Wogus Thread Starter

No. I did not.

Does that mean I need to uninstall the old card AND the the currently installed drivers?

I know how to uinstall device drivers through the "Add/Remove Programs" in the CP... but would need instructions for doing the rest.

Thanks!

6. wedor

wedor

If you don't un-install the old card first it will conflict with the new one. You may have to go to the old card's makers site to see if they have un-install instructions or a utility. The un-install may also be located in the programs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/87028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice