1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nvidia or Geforce

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phoenix69, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phoenix69

phoenix69 Thread Starter

Hi to everyone,
    I all new to forums so please bear with me if I am talking bull here.
    I have a Geforce FX5500 256mb OC by BFG and just got an ATI Radeon 9800SE 128mb. I heard that the ATI overheat, and heat is an issue to me as I live in Brazil and at the mo the av temp here is 35°. I do alot of video editing therefore my system often is v hot inside. Which card should I use? Below is a copy of my system:
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    ABIT AV8 MB
    2 512mb DDR400 crucial
    3 Samsung HD ( 1 Sata 120Gb/ 1 IDE 80Gb / 1 IDE 40Gb)
    Geforce FX 5500 256mbOC (BFG)
    1 DVDRW Phillips
    1 LG CDRW/DVDrom
    1 Systemfan at the back and one at the front cooling HDs

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Geforce is a series of video cards that contain a GPU made by the Nvidia corporation, Nvidia themselves do not make any video cards but rather sell their GPU's and reference designs to hundreds of other companies who actually make the cards. ATI is the only competitor worth mentioning. While some ATI Radeon based cards may have heat issues so do Nvidia based cards. ATI does actually make some of the Radeon cards themselves but they also sell their chips to most of the same companies that make Nvidia cards and many others. Each manufacturer has some freedom as to what kind of cooling solution they put on the video card. So individual brand is important.

My guess is that the 9800SE might run cooler considering its the slowed down and less capable version of the good performing 9800 PRO. And the 5500 is a slightly souped up FX5200 thats overclocked. But that'll depend on what heatsinks and fans they have. For performance they should be fairly equal, one may excel in one particular benchmark or game, and the other in another set. Both are decent cards.

That said video editing doesn't require a high-end video, CPU and RAM are the key factors here. Neither card should alter your video editing performance. If heat is truely an issue then try each card and see which one runs cooler, you can use a variety of tools to monitor the temp like Speedfan, Everest, a motherboard utility, or even the driver if it supports it.

3. phoenix69

phoenix69 Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch for your help. My query/worry though is that I want a card to be able to play good high performance games on my PC, such as Doom 3 and Unreal tournament 2003 Medal of honour and so forth.
    My Radeon was mande by ATI themselves while my Nvidia was made by BFG. Please advise me on which card should I keep to have the best performance while playing these games.
    Thanks a million guys!! ;)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Here's a benchmark with several FX5X00 cards and the Radeon 9800SE: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/

Neither card produces good framerates with medium or high settings in high end games like Doom 3. They are budget cards.

However with a modded driver like the Radeon Omega drivers you may be able to mod the 9800 SE into a 9800 PRO.

5. phoenix69

phoenix69 Thread Starter

Thanks a million Triple6 !!!!!!!!!!! You're great!!
    That link really helped me. I'll keep the Radeon!! Cheers! (y) :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/405767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice