1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL 250 watt power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JMT74, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMT74

JMT74 Thread Starter

Hi, I just got a NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL AGP 8x graphics card. I am trying to see if it is ok to run it with a 250 watt power supply. The stock card in the computer is a NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200. I found some information on the Quadro4 but it doesn't say what the minimum watt power supply is. Thanks.

2. JMT74

JMT74 Thread Starter

bump

3. luke24.5

luke24.5

My experience with a Dell that came w/250 psu & FX5200 combo tells me you need a larger psu, especially if you are driving 2 monitors. We used this combo @ church for only a few hours a week driving one monitor and a data projector. Started having video problems and upgrading to a PC Power & Cooling 420W PSU made to fit Dells solved the problem.

My suspicion is that you have a proprietary machine and they use just enough power. Upgrades of any type put you in peril of being underpowered. PSU's of modest power (<500w) are nominal expenses now. Upgrade.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice