1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nvidia Video Card Fried?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shesun4givn2, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shesun4givn2

shesun4givn2 Thread Starter

Hi folks,

Bad storm came through this morning. Afterwards when booting pc all i've gotten was 800 x 600 resolution with 16 color.

I've downloaded and updated the drivers for monitor and the Nvidia GEForce4 MX 440 video card.

No help.

Each time I try to change the display it forces me to restart pc to allow change. Previously I could always see the display change and choose whether I wanted to keep it or not without a restart. When I accept change and restart, computer hangs and monitor light goes to standby. Only way to recover is a ctr-alt-del and enter. PC restarts but comes right back to the huge 800 x 600 resolution.

Machine is also very, very slow in everything it does since this morning. I tried moving the monitor to the onboard video and rebooting, but then it never came on ... stayed in standby mode.

Is it possible for me to disable the video card while still plugged into it and be able to revert back to the onboard video just to test the card?

I haven't had a lot of experience with monitors and video cards. I'm not even positive they are the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

She's

2. qldit

qldit

G'day shesun4givn2...wow that is certainly a name!
    I would suggest removing the power from the machine, then removing the video card and plugging the monitor back into the onboard video socket.
    On re-power up it will (with luck) realise the onboard video is required and load the driver for it and produce an image.
    You shouldn't need drivers at this point, hopefully you won't need to enter BIOS and make any changes.
    See if you can get that up.
    (It sounds like the video card may be crippled)
    Lightning does not need to strike the prower lines to kill a machine, it is always worthwhile unplugging or fitting a surge protection device. (these work sometimes)
    Cheers, qldit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/365018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice