Solved NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 not in bios boot menu

bobbee

Installed a 250gb ssd and a XPG sx8200 pro 512 3d nand NVME Gen 3/4 PCLe M/2

Booted with a usb and installed windows 10/64. Windows prompted for which of the 2 drives (hence windows recognized the M2.)

Went into bios, M2 does not show in boot menu.
Here are some of the bios settings:
Storage Info: AHCI sata 6gbs 250gb
NCME m2_1 512gb

SATA Port Enabled
SATA Mode AHCI
NVME Raid Mode - disabled

Hot Plug disabled
M2_1 not present
M2_1 blank

Launch CMS disabled

How can I boot from the NVME ???????????????????????????????

crjdriver

You are posting in a hardware forum and no one has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs.

If you are intending on installing windows to a M.2 type drive, you need to have only that drive installed when you install windows. If you have any other drives ie sata type, windows setup will install the boot files to that drive rather than the M.2.

bobbee

asus x570 plus - wifi
XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce 1030

bobbee

Ryzen 7 - 3700x
Booted up with usb, windows prompted for which drive. Installed windows on the m2.

In the bios both drives appear, but the m2 is not in the boot drive option list.
On the sata the m2s are listed as not present .

If I boot up on another drive that has windows, I am prompted for which windows, select either the M2 or current drive. Works with either.

So the problem is in the bios, which I upgraded this morning. What switch am I missing ?

crjdriver

You need to start over and do the install as outlined in post #2. Have ONLY the M.2 drive connected until the install is complete. At that time you can shutdown and reconnect any other drive.

I would secure erase the M.2 prior to redoing the install. Note secure erase is not a format; it is a command issued to the drive's controller.

bobbee

I wasn't able to perform the secure erase. (downloaded the tool for xps m2 but doesn't work with windows 10)
I deleted the 2 partitions on the m2 and then ran the format. Installed Windows and now it works.

Seems like they should make it a little easier or have a bulletin about installing M2 as a boot device.
I spent most of the day playing around with the bios. If it wasn't for you had I would have been here all night.

Thanks for the tip.

crjdriver

You are welcome. Usually those tools are boot usb ie you boot the system from the flash drive then it will erase the M.2. Some high end motherboards have a secure erase tool built into the bios so you can do a secure erase from within your bios. I checked your manual and you do not have that option.

I marked your thread as solved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online