1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NVMe M.2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjs3120, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjs3120

cjs3120 Thread Starter

I know a lot of people have been using NVMe now . To start I just have a question on a Asus Q535UD-BI7T11
    which comes with a m.2 256gb ssd sata and a spin drive can I swap the sata m.t for an nvme ?
    My main goal would be for a Samsung evo 970 or 970 pro but if that wount work due to pin layout which I have not seen yet Kingston makes a M.2 nvme 1700 mbps 960gb for about 200$ it would fit right in as it has 6 pins on left the middle pins and 5 pins on the right just as the stock .
    I have seen on youtube that some motherboards can support both nvme with just the 5 pins on the right or the 3 key with B and M slots 6 on left and 5 on right with the most in the middle .
    I just need to know before I spend 1300$ on the laptop and another 200$+ for nvme if it will work and how
    I entered the bios at the store but it was in demo mode all I got to was advanced and sata and in there was just AHCI advanced host controller interface ? means nothing to me I need to know where to change SATA to PCIE or NVME ….. PLEASE HELP

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

Buy a different notebook that uses NVMe. Then you don't have to worry about mounting NVMe. If you bought a notebook that uses an NVMe based SSD then it will be under warranty. If you do it your way, you are taking a chance of the warranty to be voided.

If the file that is being accessed is smaller than throughput of SATA, you won't see any difference compared to NVMe and SATA. In this case the throughput of NVMe is irrelevant.

The motherboards are for desktops. Notebook mainboards are specialized. The manufacturer can white list what devices are OK to be used with the notebook computer. The upgrade may not ever work even though it's capable of doing so.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice