1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved NVMe ssd faster in M.2 or PCIe

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snibbly, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snibbly

Snibbly Thread Starter

Bought an NVMe with an adapter, and now a new motherboard which has an M.2.
    How would it be better to mount my NVMe card?

Cheers,
    Snibbly

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

PCIe comes in X1, X2, X4, X8, and X16 which has to do with the number of PCI express "lanes" each one uses.
    M.2 also comes in X1, X2, and X4 flavors AS DOES THE DRIVE itself.
    So, if it is an X2 device AND the M.2 slot is X2 or X4, it will be faster than if it was plugged into an X1 adapter card. Capiche?
    The correct answer is only found in the exact details of the hardware you have.
    If the adapter is a PCIe X1 card, it certainly won't be any slower.

3. Snibbly

Snibbly Thread Starter

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

The adapter you have is an X4 adapter so I'd think that Samsung 951 would be faster in it. M.2 slots are very rarely X4 and the Z97 chipset only offers a total of 8 lanes.

5. Snibbly

Snibbly Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply Davis,

Im kinda worried about using the adapter if Im honest as it was around about the time that I started using it that my 780 graphic card fried. Could it be linked? Its the reason Ive gone out and bought a new motherboard and graphic card so I dont want it to happen again.

Also would it be possible to explain the lanes part, what are lanes, does it matter how many lanes you have and why do they need to use them? Are the amount of lanes you have linked to how many PCIes you have? My current motherboard which housed the now fried GTX 780 had 2 PCIe slots so they were both used. Is it possible then that I overloaded it ? I just dont want this to happen again. Would using the M.2 be safer and if so would it be that much slower.

Sorry to over burden you with a million questions, but I really do appreciate your answers.

Thank you,
    Henry

6. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

PCIe lanes explained: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/pci-express1.htm

Far more often than having the CPU overheat and cause problems, I see the video card cook itself into oblivion; ironically, because a normal inspection won't let you see how much dust has clogged up the heatsink. Depending on how much dust is on your PC's environment, you may need to take the card out of the PC every six months to a year to clean it. Heck, I've seen the fan melt into a plastic puddle on an ATI card. Bear in mind, too, that you need to blow the opposite direction from the normal airflow to knock the dust loose.
    I doubt that the adapter card caused the GPU to fry.

7. Snibbly

Snibbly Thread Starter

I understand, but what makes me wonder is that I tried another card after to try find the problem and the dame happened to that. On the 780 all electrics worked with just the 4 pin power supply connected but when the 6 pin power was inserted all went dead, even the cpu fan wouldnt work.

The second card also seemed to work fine, could view the bios page for any length of time and windows logo, but when windows reached the login screen then all went black. Im guessing , and it is a guess, that when windows loaded the driver for the graphic card it froze as the advanced chipset had problems, I duno. I just doubt it was dust.

Would ity be possible to explain a little about the lanes please.

Thank you,
    Henry

8. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

"On the 780 all electrics worked with just the 4 pin power supply connected but when the 6 pin power was inserted all went dead" That says to me that the power supply had a problem!
    The second card, too. When Windows tried to initialize the video drivers, the card's power consumption shot way up and the PC died.

PCIe is a serial communication protocol and the x1, x2, etc. refer to the number of those channels (lanes) each device has available. Did you read that link I posted?

9. Snibbly

Snibbly Thread Starter

Thanks again for your reply Davis,

I actually thought the same thing and went out and bought a 1000W Fractal power supply and a new Motherboard. What a waste of money. There was nothing wrong with my RM850 Corsair, and now its up on Ebay being sold for a pittance, gutted.

Could you please read the post I made about this problem here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/well-this-is-a-strange-one.1174091/

Maybe you can help me understand whats going on.

Very sorry but I missed the link , Ill have a read now.

10. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Fractal what?
    But; at least the Newton R2 series claims to have a single 12 volt rail which solves the RM850's "unbalanced" load problem(s).

11. Snibbly

Snibbly Thread Starter

What do you mean " Fractal what "

Did you read the link I gave you?

12. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Yes, I posted in it.
    What is the model number of the Fractal PSU? (Saying Fractal 1000w is like saying Ford SUV; its not enough information!)

13. Snibbly

Snibbly Thread Starter

It seems this NVMe issue is solved so I have moved onto the other post.

Thank you Davis.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice