1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved NVMe SSD Not detected in Parted Magic for Secure Erase

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Everway9, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

Hello everybody. :)

Please would you give me some help regarding securely wiping a SSD drive?

I think my laptop has a Toshiba NVMe SSD. It's a 512GB and the hardware ID in device manager is
    NVMe THNSN5512GPUK NV. I'm not so sure it is a Toshiba SSD but all searches have returned Toshiba.

I have a 2016 version of Parted Magic (10.18) and I've created a bootable USB as I wish to securely wipe/erase all partitions and sensitive company data from the SSD and install a new OS.

Parted Magic does not detect the SSD drive. I also tried Toshiba's OCZ SSD Utility which also does not detect the drive.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance. :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you planning on using the drive again for yourself? If so you don't need to do a secure erase.

If you plan to sell it or give it away then it may be beneficial to secure erase the drive but being an SSD and the nature of SSD's and TRIM it's already very hard to recover any data after a reinstall and a bit of use.

To get the SSD detected by a bootable DOS or Linux utility you probably need to enable CSM/Legacy boot, disable Secure Boot, and change the SATA controller mode from AHCI/RAID to Legacy/IDE/Compatibility for Parted Magic to detect it.

Everway9 likes this.
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a m.2 type of drive. When you double click on the erase drive icon, does it have a box that looks like this one ie giving the option for nvme erase? If not, you will probably need the latest version of parted magic.

Attached Files:

• m2.jpg
      m2.jpg
      File size:
      108.6 KB
      Views:
    Everway9 likes this.
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just checked the change log for parted magic and the very latest version either updated the nvme utility or it was just included. I could not find any reference to nvme in earlier versions.

Everway9 likes this.
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Moved to hardware forum since this is a hardware question regarding the secure erase of a m.2 type drive.
    If you are just going to install windows and keep the laptop for yourself, no need to secure erase. If you are selling this laptop, then you probably do need to secure erase the m.2.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Everway9 likes this.
  6. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

Hi there Triple6.

Thanks for your reply.

I am not going to be using the drive again myself. However I do need to return the laptop to DELL so it would need to be usable again. I could try the different boot configuration though. Thanks for your help. :)

7. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

Hi crjdriver.

Thanks for your reply.

Thank you for moving my thread for me. I am sorry for posting in the incorrect area. I assumed that because it is the software that is not detecting the drive it would be best to post in software.

Anyway... I am returning the laptop to DELL so would like to secure erase.

Thanks again. :)

8. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info crjdriver.

9. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

Sorry i forgot to reply to this earlier.

When I double click on the erase drive icon that box does appear and the nvme option is there. After clicking the nvme option it does not show the m2 drive. I cant remember but I think it did show the usb drive I booted from.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Does the win10 install usb find the drive?

Everway9 likes this.
  11. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

Would my problem he anything to do wih a

That is a very good question. :) I do not know.. Windows 10 was pre-installed. I will make a Win 10 Bootable ISO and check that out.

Meanwhile, would my problem have anything to do with a frozen or locked drive?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Maybe. Some bios will lock the drive preventing a secure erase however parted magic still sees the drive. You then put the system to sleep and wake it up; drive is then unfrozen.

Everway9 likes this.
  13. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

So even if the drive was frozen/locked it would still show in Parted Magic. OK. Thanks. I'm currently burning Windows 10 to bootable usb.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes. Every time I have had to secure erase a drive connected to an asus board, the bios will lock the drive however it is still visible.

Everway9 likes this.
  15. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

Windows setup sees the drive and it's partitions.

I have just bought the latest version of Parted Magic. I'll report back after trying this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice