1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nyb virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by speed1061, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speed1061

speed1061 Thread Starter

When I turn my system on, I get a message that I have a boot virus. I made a QuickBoot antivirus diskette. It didn't work. I got the following message:

"This disk is identified as having NYB. a virus!!!"
    "Please examine the partion sector"
    "Partion sector could not be repaired"

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

First throw away any floppy disks that have been used on the machine. And if they have been used on any other, you may need new ones there too. If you need new startup disks you can download them from www.bootdisk.com They should be created on a clean machine by putting a formatted floppy in drive and clicking on the install program which you downloaded.

Write protect them before using.

The best AV for cleaning such things from DOS is probably f-prot. You can get it and follow instructions for creating a two diskette process for cleaning.

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/b1.shtml

http://www.f-prot.com/f-prot/support/using.html

Alternately you may be able to clean this by using the fdisk /mbr command from a clean, write protected startup disk. See the info on the following link. Fdisk /mbr should also not be used if you have more than 4 partitions

http://www.computerhope.com/nyb.htm

3. speed1061

speed1061 Thread Starter

The boot disk I first made was done on a clean machine.
    This may sound like a stupid question but............How do I open the links once I click on them?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The links should open and load in a new window automatically when you click on them. Is that not happening?

You can copy them directly to an address bar as well (the full entries are there).

Or right click and select "Open" or "Open in New Window".

With respect to the f-prot link, read the Q on how to install and run the program from DOS, then click on the "Download" tab at the upper left and get the free download for DOS

5. speed1061

speed1061 Thread Starter

I downloaded F-Prot for DOS. Saved it on the desktop. I try to open it and it flashes for a split second and does not open.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Did the download arive as a zip file (f-prot.zip)? And do you have a zip program such as Winzip for opening them?

It's best to do this within a separate folder so you can extract the files and then copy the required ones to a floppy as directed. I just dl'd the zip and it opened fine. I'm going to follow through on the rest of the directions to see if there are any issues.

edit...

Ok, I just did the full drill myself; while I've run f-prot before, I hadn't used the "two disk" method.

It's "fairly" straight forward.

>> copied f-prot.exe, english.txt and macrodef to disk 1 (just right clicked>copy and right click on 'a' drive with clean floppy and "paste"

>> copied sign.def and sign.def2 to disk 2

>> removed floppy and rebooted to command prompt. But I recommend you use a write protected startup disk to reach the a:\> prompt (without cd-rom support)

>> at a:\> prompt, with floppy #1 inserted enter:

f-prot /loaddef

(periods of blank display while files copied)

>> insert floppy #2 when prompted and hit enter.

>> insert floppy #1 when prompted for macro.def and hit enter

after a minute or so you get the scan menu, with SCAN highlighed.

>> hit enter, you are taken to an "options" menu. I selected "report only", but you will want to disinfect. Other options I left at default. (Well, the second time around I did. The first I tried to enter c:\ under "user defined". It completed what seemed like a full scan and then gave me "error reading drive", but didn't say what drive. Ran the scan again, not putting anything there and it completed fine).

>> once your options are selected, highlight "START" and hit enter. Off you should go.

>> leave the #1 floppy in the floppy drive until, when finished, after hitting esc a few times, you are back at the a:\> prompt. Then you can remove it and do a ctrl-alt-del to restart.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice