1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

o/c board

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by deuce, Jan 10, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

So what was the verdict? I remember TweakBoy asking the same thing some few months ago and didn't ever see the outcome then.

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

I think it would be a great idea, but then, I'm at the wrong end of the knowledge scale to help anyone right now, more like I would be asking for help.

3. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Well that's half the reason to make it a board. :) There are those that might like it to give help and share tricks and stuff... and those that want to ask questions.

4. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Are there really that many posts on the topic here? I mean, for now it would fit under Hardware... I don't know if we need another forum just yet, as things can be a little confusing for new users as it is. Maybe I should add "overclocking" to the Hardware description?

5. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Hummm... I don't really know. I have seen every now and then someone ask about overclocking in hardware... maybe three or four people this month as a shy guess, that and read two threads now where it was pondered. (both old ones) I guess it isn't needed right now... but adding o/c'ing to the hardware forum description might be a good idea to spur some discussion on it. This sounds good to me:

"Plug-n-Pray got you down? Overclocking, and peripherals and the software drivers necessary to run them."

6. brianF

brianF

there's lots of places to go and find out about overclocking now, without advertising it here.

Overclocking if fine and dandy as long as the user understands that not all overclocks work. It may cost him or her money to replace the components and time lost restoring lost data.

Most oem machines are darn near impossible to overclock, they don't have the right hardware. All the overclockers I know build their own machines, so they know exactly what components they have and what they can take.

Overclocking is risk taking, not support or repair.

What happens on a bad overclock

1. System won't boot period
    2. Data corruption on hard drive due to heat and overclocked bus
    3. Burnt out video cards. Hard drives with bad segments
    4. Burnt out cpu's
    5. Burnt out motherboards.
    6. Numerous hangs and crashes due to heat or bus speeds.
    etc
    etc
    etc

Seen plenty of it, I overclock but understand it could go bad.

My opinion, before I ever overclocked I did a lot of reading and browsing getting to know the process and what works and what doesn't. I built the machine with the best parts available at the time.

7. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Yeah it wouldn't be good if someone messed up their system taking advice from someone here. I was just wondering about getting some place where we can talk about it and such... but I see it isn't really needed. I don't overclock much... but have before. I don't do it alot because the last machine I was using was a compaq I got for free from a business downtown that was tossing them (picked up 3 along with a HP laserprinter 6p) and had it for years and it couldn't be o/c'ed.. so last time I did it was before the compaq. Just built a new one recently and plan to o/c sometime in the future... but as it is 1.5 Ghz I want to read up more on it first to aviod all possible mistakes as I have the best of the best in this thing. Point taken... I'll shut up now. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Oh yeah... I didn't know you can damage the HD... thanks for the heads up. I thought the most damage you could do was lose the cpu and mobo... and possibly the PCI devices and vid card.

8. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Mike I noticed you changed the description for hardware... thanks, that'll do just fine. :)

9. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Welcome. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice