o/s not found: Hard drives relettered

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tlewis1977

Tried to start computer last week and it would only boot to black screen with, "o/s not found." Inserted emergency start up disk,(Win 98) and nosed around. Discoverd that the C drive, (windows home) was now the D drive, and vice versa. With the Windows 98 CDrom and emergency start up disk was able to reload windows and restore operation.
Problem is that Windows reloaded to D drive for the most part, though some files were loaded to C drive in a new Windows folder. In this new configuration,many .dll's lost, cannot shut-down to ms-dos prompt, many start up files, (anti-virus) missing and must be manually bypassed during start-up.
Two weeks prior to problem had switched the windows temp files over to the D drive to save space on the Cdrive. Can I just copy the entire windows folder into the new C drive and solve the problem, or just reletter the hard drives to their original letters.

Wow,

Sounds like things got really buggered up. By the sound of things, you might just be better off formatting the drive and possibly using FDISK if the drive letter thing is still messed up.

Then re-load a fresh copy of Windows on your C: drive, and if you're worried about running out of drive space, then get rid of any partitions (that way you can just leave your Temp folder on your C: drive).

Columbo

tlewis1977

I am reluctant to reformat drive and reinstall windows. Computer is older and weighed down with many older and difficult programs to reload. Commputer has undergone many upgrades, new CDR/w, new IDE card, new hard drive and changes to original O/S (Win 95).
If I did reformat, would it matter if I used the new C drive (the old D drive) for windows new home? The new c drive is a partioned portion of a New hard drive installed last year. This new hard drive was installed as a slave to the original hard drives master.
Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online