1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

O/S Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rcrow, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rcrow

rcrow Thread Starter

Hello,
    Here’s one for you all.
    System: Dell 1.3 P4
    O/S: Me
    I have updated Bios and all drivers that can be updated with out installing the Win XP pro O/S. When I run The upgrade adviser I gets all the way to the end with no problem and An adviser window pops up Fatal Error: "Setup cannot continue. Contact Microsoft Tech support [error: 564ff58h]". I did contact Microsoft they could not solve the problem!! Dell Well, When I get support from India, well they just say there should be no problem. When I got an American we went through all the point. End results is they don’t know. I have a lot of files and programs and don't want to do a fresh install.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks RC
    :confused:

2. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

Is the operating system you bought just an upgrade? that might be the problem, i had a similar problem and it was because i was doing an upgrade install and not a full flush and full operating install. not totally sure though, but thats my opinion.

3. tnik

tnik

In all actuallity, you do want to do a fresh install.. you run into many problems when you upgrade from one OS to another.. My suggestion would be backup your data and do a fresh install, Or use a partitoning software to partiton enough free space for XP and use the other partition for your data/programs.

4. rcrow

rcrow Thread Starter

Thanks, I have considered putting it on the D: partition
    And yes you are right I should do a fresh install. It just took so long to get what I have But we must move forward. Thanks once more.

5. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

Your Welcome.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice