1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oatmeal Dressing - Not haggis

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Tipacanoe, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Tipacanoe

Tipacanoe Thread Starter

Roast Chicken (or Turkey) with Oatmeal Dressing

This is the kind of dressing that was featured at all of the Thanksgivings and Christmases that I have ever celebrated. It is my mother's recipe, handed dow. The original recipe did not call for olive oil but simply for salted butter. I decided, in interest of our health, to use half olive oil and half sweet butter and I can't say that I've noticed a difference in taste at all.

I happen to prefer capons to turkeys so we always get as many capons as is necessary for the company - takes a little less time to prepare too.

One recipe is enough for a 2 or 3 lb bird so for capons which are usually larger you might want to adjust accordingly..

NB: Contrary to popular belief of people who have not tried this, the dressing is not like porridge or - horrors - haggis - at all!

ngredients

1 capon

dressing:
    ¼ c. olive oil
    ¼ c. butter
    1 medium onion, chopped finely
    1 c. dry bread crumbs (fine)
    1 c. oatmeal, (not rolled oats but what we used to call Scotch oatmeal, ie cut not rolled)
    6 Tbsp fresh savory leaves, chopped (1 Tbsp dried savory)
    2 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped finely (1 tsp dried sage)
    ½ tsp salt

outside rub:
    olive oil, sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, celery salt, pepper
    Preparation

1. Clean and dry bird thoroughly.

2. Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet. Saute onions til transluscent.

3. In a large bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, oatmeal, sage, savory and salt.

4. Add onion mixture to breadcrumbs and oatmeal. Mix well.

5. Stuff bird and pin opening closed. Rub the skin with olive oil, sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, celery salt, pepper.

6. Put into a preheated 500F oven. Immediately turn the oven down to 350F. Roast the bird for ½ hour per pound, basting every 15 minutes.

Serve with cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc. etc. etc. Mashed root vegetables are also very good.

2. izme

izme

yummmmmmmmmm and thanks for the great recipe!

><">

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice