1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oblivion Problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Amxiand, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amxiand

Amxiand Thread Starter

Hi, I just recentley bought the Oblivion game for PC and i installed it and tried to play. It sucked, my computer couldn't handle it, it was very choppy and froze every couple of minutes. Specs are: VideoCard- WinFast PX6200 TC, Processor- Pentium 4 3.00GHz , RAM- 1GB (previously 512MB, I've just upgraded) and I'm not too sure about the motherboard, but I know that it's deccent. The upgrade in RAM didn't really help too much, so I'm wondering about the video card. The game currently runs at about 10-15 FPS, which is horrible in my opinion. Any suggestions? Thanks - Oh also, it says I have 2 processors, I dunno what that means.

2. Amxiand

Amxiand Thread Starter

Oh, yes, I've also went to the website that checks the games requirments and your specs and it said my game was in the "recommended" zone, and it still runs like crap.

3. Jones

Jones

First impressions are that it's your video card. Here are it's specs:
    http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/winfast_px6200_tctdh256_2.html

Even though you may meet the 'minimum' requirements, it's been my experience in the past that these are usually barely enough to run a game even at it's lowest settings. Oblivion is a pretty demanding game, too. It may be time to upgrade. 6200's are notorious for being pretty bad cards.

4. Amxiand

Amxiand Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, anyway, all my hardware is recommended according to that site for the Oblivion game, not minimum, but yeah I've been thinking about upgrading my video card for a while now, but I'm not too sure what would be a deccent card. I'm not too worried about the price also. Any suggestions?

5. Jones

Jones

6. Jones

Jones

7. Amxiand

Amxiand Thread Starter

Well, my budget is about $300, but my Father has his own computer tech bussiness, so I can get hardware for significantly less then store prices . He obviously doesn't have much experience with games which is why I've posted here lol...

8. Jones

Jones

In that case, definitely get the BFG card. You won't regret it!

BTW - I know I didn't post any ATI cards, but quite frankly, I don't like them. ;) I much prefer nVidia products.

9. Amxiand

Amxiand Thread Starter

Yeah, Thank you for all your advice, Jones, I appreciate it, and I will definatley look into the BGF brand.

10. Amxiand

Amxiand Thread Starter

I too prefer nVidia, because that's the company my Father orders and trusts.

11. Jones

Jones

I'm not sure what it is, but every ATI card I've bought or tried to setup has worked like garbage. nVidia cards just seem to work as soon as you plug them in. It's weird, because there are some people who live by ATI, and think nVidia stinks. To each their own, I suppose. ;)

12. Amxiand

Amxiand Thread Starter

Heh, yeah, I've never tried an ATI card but I hear they're bad.

13. Obligatory

Obligatory

Heehee.

I had an ATI mobile, and on lower resolutions (it was a crappy card, so I was rather forced into it) I could see other players through walls as a light fuzz.

But yeah. I need a new graphics card too, for Oblivion. The thing has very complicated shaders and graphical features. Its not so much the polygon count (though, that is still quite over the top), its the complex shadows and lighting that make your card work.

14. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

if the choppyness happens every FEW minutes then the problem may be something running that is slowing the game down

this is a tweak that you enagle before you game, then disabl if you want after you game (it increases all aspects of pc performance)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;331796

for high settings in the game you need at least a geforce 6800

also the cards recomended before were PCIE cards does your computer use PCI express or AGP?

if agp then those cards will not work with your pc

15. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

runs ok on my system... It's set just under max detail and only get's choppy in a battle or large crowds..
    My CPU isn't even using it's second level cache and it runs this game OK..

And like inuyasha said, disable background programs.. (not sure if you need to go the "clean boot" route though)
    Most importantly is any anti-virus scanners.. If a file being use in game is also getting scanned it will slow way down..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice