1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oblivion save error -5001 and uninstall problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by bgmullins, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgmullins

bgmullins Thread Starter

I have played Oblivion on my PC for a while with no troubles at all. The other day I was playing and saved the game. I got the message "game saved successfully". Later my character died and I tried to return to my most recent save, only it wasn't in my saves list - As if I had never saved that last time. The save before that one was available, as well as all those before it, but not the most recent.

I tried testing to make sure I didn't remember or save incorrectly. I attempted to saved again with the same result. I opened up previous characters from Oblivion games long ago and tried to save a new game with them, but had no success. I tried deleting a few currently shown saves thinking maybe I had hit a limit the list would hold. Still can't save. I tried starting a new game altogether, but still it won't save. Temporary saves give a successful message as well, but also do not appear on the list. It just occured to me that I have not tried playing, then saving, then exiting the game, then trying to reenter using the 'continue' option. That may work, but I always use the 'load' option. Even if it did work, it still isn't right and I don't want to relay on that.

When I check the file of saved games mydocuments/mygames/oblivion my newly saved games are showing up, so my computer must be saving them, but somehow its not comunicating that with the game program. I'm not sure if there is a way to open my saved file from the oblivion file within my documents to begin game play from, but I tried a few things with no success.

Finally, in an attempt to resolve the save problem, I tried uninstalling Oblivion, but I got error -5001. I've tried uninstalling from my desktop, the startup menu, control panel, the oblivion launcher, and I even tried it in safe mode. I don't have internet and for some reason it says something about checking my internet connection, but surely the game can be uninstalled without internet, right?

I made a mistake in the title of this thread - the error -5001 is when I try uninstalling, not when I try saving.

Thank you - sorry long post just wanted to be thorough.

2.16GHz Amd Athalon 3100+, Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 1 G ram (been playing the game for a long time on this rig - no other issues found with any other programs, although I haven't tried playing or saving any other games since this issue).

2. geehawk

geehawk

I'm not sure how Oblivion accesses save files so I can't be much help there, but I would try reinstalling Oblivion before you do anything else. Make sure to backup your save files from the "docs>>mygames>>oblivion" folder, and then simply delete the oblivion program file folder and reinstall from the disc or however it was originally installed. Obviously this is not the cleanest method, but as long as you have a way to install from it's original setup files it should be fine. If reinstalling doesn't fix it, try downloading the latest oblivion patch. If it's still not fixed than it could be an issue with your hard drive corrupting your save files, so try running an MHDD (google it). hope this helps some!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!