1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OBS Recording (not streaming) produces jumpy video

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by minimustangs, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minimustangs

minimustangs Thread Starter

I have followed thoroughly various tutorials for setting up OBS for streaming. Initially I had set it up for Youtube, then switched to Twitch. This works fine. I have absolutely no complaint with that. Streaming out to these platforms is working as I would like.

This issue I'm experiencing is what I can best describe as a pulsing or jumping, about once per second when I play a file back that I have recorded (not streamed) with OBS.

The audio is flawless, no stuttering, nothing like that. Audio BR is at 160...

As I watch the status information in OBS as I am recording, I see no warning about overloaded encoder, the frame rates are where they are supposed to be, no dropped frames. everything should appear to be good. CPU load is unremarkable, again plenty of headroom. It doesn't seem to matter if I increase bit rate, decrease bit rate, CBR, VBR, increase or decrease framerate, or which software i use to view the output fine: VLC, WMP, whatever, there is this pulsing. Its just enough to be annoying. Its subtle, but it's there. And it doesn't matter which PC I play the file on ( I have a few I can test it with)

The computer running OBS is more than adequate for the task.

I have - in an effort to improve things - changed recording format, changed encoder, even the location to which I was saving it ( initially that was a network drive, but I change to an internal SSD for test purposes) I can not get rid of this.

This is just for a little pet project, I really didn't care all that much about it, but now that I'm seeing this issue, I'm motivated to figure out why and make it right.

My source for the video is a file on an internal SSD, a game replay. It has to be played through the game interface, thus the reason I need to re-record it - in a format I can manipulate and edit in Adobe Premiere. I'm trying to create video objects to put together into a small presentation for our League.

The transition objects, splash screens and stills don't appear to have this issue, but they are (relatively) lightweight still image files, not video and audio...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to eliminate this issue? I'm happy to provide whatever information would be needed...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice