1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

observation

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by SavvyLady, Nov 27, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

hello everyone...

it came to my attention today I have not been surfing the forum correctly so I thought I'd share this in case others are overlooking the same thing.

When I logon to the forum .. I generally will go to view recent post & get the updated list...

Well... problem is ... unless we search by category .. alot of people are not receiving any help at all. I got an e-mail from one who has had a post on the forum unanswered & -0- replys for 2 days.... Made me feel really bad he'd been ignored. Although he only had singled me out for help. i was not able to...

So we need to check by groups... or either Tech guy might find a way to keep unanswered post alive as well.

Thanks
    Savvy
    :)

2. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

Good point, SavvyLady. I also keep an eye for the ones who reply to thier own post. Sometimes a new poster will reply with more info so we can help them instead of thinking that the problem is solved.

3. angel

angel

I usually do as you do (new posts only) but try to go to each forum and look for posts that haven't had a response (though not as often as I probably should).
    Maybe there could be an option to search for posts with 0 responses?

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

Maybe you can incorporate -0- response forums to keep them active. in with the recent ones somehow...

Savvy :)

5. deuce

deuce

Well... one method is for the person in need of help to "bump" it to the top... but they might not all think of that and then they would be responding anyway so then it no longer is a 0 responder...

You should bring this up in "Site Comments and Suggestions" as I don't think Mike spends a whole lot of time around here... well that way this won't end up like the problem it is trying to solve. Another idea is (I think it was mentioned in some form already but posting it anyway) Mike could make an option to search for threads with 0 responses decending down from most recent... rather than a new forum because that might become a mess and mix with the whole reason for "no duplicate threads"... who knows... anyway just my two cents...

BTW Savvy... did you ever hear back from that person with the thread you forwarded to me about the sound problem? I have responed a few times and been checking back and that person has seemed to dissapear... I check it when ever I am in that board and I'm always the last poster... (I haven't checked in a few hours though...I'll go back and check again)

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

No I sure didn't...

Might send this link to Tech Guy.... least I want have to start a new thread that way.

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

There is really no good answer to that problem. I think the only practical solution is for the poster to re-post to bring the post to the top if it has not been answered.

8. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Interesting ideas with making a way to search for 0 reply posts... It will be a good while before I can do some serious hacking to do that sort of thing... But, if you use the Search feature, you can choose to sort results by the number of replies, which would give a similar result.

But, we've always encouraged users to reply to their own post if they don't get a response in a few days. I think that seems to work...

As always, open to ideas...

9. deuce

deuce

I guess "great minds think alike"... :D

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

Well as long as Great Minds are working...lol

11. deuce

deuce

As opposed to "not working"... yes they do that too though... lol Like when in the random discussion... :D

12. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

oops.... missed the last post.....LOL... I was away working...LOL

joking deuce

13. Dark Star

Dark Star

.........good ideas too.

Maybe we're just getting spoiled here I mean we do have the best site in the world and we have all the lights bells and whistles.

Tech Guy is pretty accomodating to us all, I guess that's why he is the Tech Guy.

I guess there is always room for improvement........so I was wondering if you could like install some sort of a voice recognition thingy so I can just forgo having to type anything into the post and I could just log in and talk.

I guess I'd have to do that here at my end, but I was just wondering that's all. ;)

DS

14. SavvyLady

SavvyLady Thread Starter

You figure out how to do that ok?? you can always use yahoo messenger or MSN while here.... then there is that Roger Wilco thingy too.
    I come from a long line of audio chat....lol
    It would be great in all the senses of being able to get quicker responses to helping someone.

15. Dark Star

Dark Star

Well, I'm gonna work on telepathically posting replies......what the heck maybe even anticipate the question and provide the Search link to the answers.

Now we're talking about streamlining the whole operation

Provide a link to a downloadable fix to any possible problem that might arise before they even have the problem, so that when they have the problem and they come here to post they'll get a TSG welcome message and a pop up with the link to the download that will fix it for them......

........then an automated e-mail that reminds them to come back here and thank us for helping them, and if they don't do that then we just take the fix away from them until they can learn to say thank you.

The possibilities are endless, I'll be back once I have it all worked out......hehehe :D

DS

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice