1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Obtain MAC address for laptop

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Jeff-PC, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff-PC

Jeff-PC Thread Starter

I don't know if this is even possible, but I am trying to obtain the MAC address or some other type of number associated with my laptop so as to locate it. It was stolen last week so I no longer have access to it. I am curious if there is a way to find the mac address through the wireless router it had been connected to. I don't know if there is a database of all mac addresses that have accessed a router or what....any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

A router/switch does keep a table of all MACs it sees, I think, but the table is not accessible to users. But MAC addresses stay at the local router, the next hop it takes is based on the destination ip address. So even if you know the MAC of your lost laptop, you won't be able to find it using a MAC.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice