1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

obtaining operating system (XP) setup disk-pre installed sofware

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by busterdog, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. busterdog

busterdog Thread Starter

Hello
    Could anybody advise me?
    My brother recently bought a Hewlett Packard computer with the operating system pre-installed. He has now asked me if I can format & partition his h/d. The problem is that we only have a recovery disk and not the full setup disk.
    I contacted HP (UK) to get one and they have told me that as far as Microsoft are concerned they (HP) would be acting illegally. I informed them that a few years ago Tiny sent me one for my own PC so they then told me that Tiny had acted illegally. This morning I contacted Microsoft UK for confirmation of this but was told it is perfecly ok for them to send a disk.
    I then rang HP back and informed them of this but they are still refusing to issue one and tell me it is illegal.
    This is not meant to be a gripe or a moan about any individual company but an attempt to gain knowledge regarding my problem.
    If I can't get hold of a full setup disk how can I do a full system format, partition and re-install an operating system that he has paid to use.
    Our only other option would be to buy the operating system (again) or to buy an OEM disk and hardware but surely lots of others must have had the same problem.
    Thanks in advance for any advise/info/views in advance.

BD

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I think HP are behaving badly here and you might approach your local Trading Standards office about them, providing they're operating from a UK address.

That said, however, the only feasible alternative is to buy an XP CD, format, install and activate with the new Product Key to give your brother a fully legal and supported OS. The other way round this is to post details of his problems - why does he want to format? Someone here will help.

If he only wants to partition, there is software that can do this without losing data. Have a look in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>COmputer Management>Disk Management and see what the present partition arrangements are. HP may have left a small partition to store data which responds to their recovery disks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/307988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice