1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OC 1055t Phenom vs FX8150

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mooncatt, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mooncatt

Mooncatt Thread Starter

ok, so ive done loads of surfing the net with regards to the above and i cant seem to find very much.
    system specs first.
    AMD Phenom II 1055T overclocked to 3.8gig
    cooler : vendetta 2
    8gig Corsair DDR3 1600MhZ
    ASRock 990FX extreme 3 mobo
    Gainward GTX470
    120gig Mushkin Chronos SSD
    1Tb 7200rpm HDD
    windows 7 64bit HP

i bought, on a whim a AMD FX8150 8core. it was a really good price and i stupidly didnt do any research into it :confused: once the new CPU was in i left the stock clock speeds and ran a few benchmarks using pcmark vantage, pcmark 7 etc etc and saw absolutely no increase in performance what so ever. so, i ran a few games and monitored the FPS etc and i actually saw a drop in fps compared to my phenom II.
    I tried to overclock the 8150 but the heat generation was horrendous, but for the short time i was able to use it i still didnt see any performance gain at all. i know already that games dont use many cores but i thought i would still see a performance gain anyway with the FX being a newer cpu with different architecture? in the cpu benchmark lists that are on the net the 8150 is supposed to be better than my trusty old phenom II?
    what would u guys do? stick with the 8150 for future use? or keep the 1055t.
    just so u know i use my rig for gaming.
    thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The bulldozer line was a disappointment and in some cases performed worse than say a t1090 or t1100. Bulldozer was superseded by the newer fx8350 which actually performs reasonably well; at least on par with a t1090 or t1100.

To answer your question, personally I would run the t1055 overclocked however that is me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice