Occasional blinking DSL light?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SweetChick

I'm trying to figure out if this problem is with my Modem, wiring or the ISP, I mostly have good service for DSL and get anywhere from 5 to 6.5 MBPS speed on testing it, but often get a DSL light on the modem that will start blinking and when it does that the computer and my Xbox lose connection, it could blink just once which is enough to kick me off an online Xbox game or it could blink for a few seconds to several hr's at a time, rebooting the modem doesn't help when it's doing it for a long time and I have replaced the filter with a high quality one and it made no difference, any thoughts?

I might do the easy things first
Power on reset of the modem.Unplug it and let it be powered off for at least 2 minutes.Power it up.
If the modem was supplied by your ISP,see if they will replace it..
I had the same issue lastyear,.bad modem.ATT replaced it.
Also here is a pretty good tool to check the stability of the lineand links on the line.

First off, connect one computer directly to the modem (power cycle the modem after changing the connection), and do this.

Register at www.dslreports.com and run theirwww.dslreports.com/linequality. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.
__

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online