1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Occasional BSOD at Win8 cold boot

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by fchel, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fchel

fchel Thread Starter

Hi,

My new computer with just installed Win8 Pro occasionally shows BSOD with sad smile, but only during cold boot.
    CPU: i7-3770
    MB: ASUS P8B75-M BIOS v.1002
    MEM: 32GB (4x8Gb) Geil

After the system has loaded, it seems stable and does not fail even under high workload. BSOD I observe are only during cold boots (not after Restart) and all with different error codes.

I have updated BIOS to the latest version, tried different memory settings, updated some drivers, ... without any success.
    Attaching 6 minidumps. Any ideas?

Thanks, Fedor

Attached Files:

2. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

3. fchel

fchel Thread Starter

The problem appeared almost immediately after Windows 8 installation. So no special programs or drivers.

More details about the computer:
    CPU: Intel i7-3770
    graphics integrated in the CPU
    M/board: ASUS P8B75-M BIOS v.1002
    MEM: 32GB (4x8Gb) Geil
    Power Supply: tried two different models - same result, currently use Xilence 350W (not very expensive, but my system does not require much power)

Sensors (attached):
    +12V: 12.000V
    CPU temp: 30 ^C
    M/B temp: 29 ^C

Please note, that BSOD happens only during boot. After that the system is pretty stable (checked with stress test from ASUS Ai Suite for more than an hour).

Attached Files:

4. dai

dai

Xilence 350W does not have enough 12v amps for a pcie system

pressure is on the psu during boot and if there is going too be a problem with it then it is likely to show up here

once past this point demand eases off and it is not unusual to run ok

put the mini dump into here

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

paste the result into the reply

5. fchel

fchel Thread Starter

How much wattage in a PSU is necessary for a computer like mine: CPU consumes at most 77 W and plus I have only one HDD?

I attached 6 minidumps to the original question. Would you like to see screenshot with them?

6. dai

dai

i cannot read the dumps in that form that is why i asked you to use the app

the lowest i recommend for a pcie system is 550w showing 40a on the 12v line on the label

7. fchel

fchel Thread Starter

Ok, I decoded minidumps using that utility. Please find them attached.

I think all systems now are equipped with PCI-express. So PSU below 550W are virtually useless, even for systems without any single PCI-e extension card like mine?

Attached Files:

8. dai

dai

for the 24 error run

chkdsk /f

check this

http://batcmd.com/windows/8/services/fltmgr/

not useless but i don't want to run into a situation where someone buys a recommended psu to come back saying they had to go back and buy another higher wattage one

if i am going to err i prefer to be on the high sideand usually their is only about $10 difference in price between one that will work and one that maybe will

9. fchel

fchel Thread Starter

Thanks for advice, fortunately Chkdsk found no errors on the disk.

As to PSU. I agree that it is better to have a more powerful one as well as more poweful UPS. However, are you sure that changing of PSU will fix the issue (I already changed one)? The motherboard possesses so called Anti-surge protection, so I guess that it shall at least notify me that something is wrong with the power, and no such errors are shown during POST.

10. dai

dai

and the fltmgr link?

11. fchel

fchel Thread Starter

Hello,

Finally the issue is resolved. PSU is ok and powerful enough for such minimalistic system. It was a memory compatibility issue. After I have changed the memory modules on officially supported by the motherboard (Patriot in my case), all BSOD desappeared.

Thanks for your help,
    Fedor

12. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted

13. iinneeddhheellpp

iinneeddhheellpp

hello im having similar issues with my acer aspire one small laptop with the blue frown crash and restart scree, it will run fine then I connect to the net or especially when I try and download any thing kinda large the darn thing pulls a lee Harvey Oswald on me. please helllp iiiinnnneeeedddd hhheellpppppp

14. iinneeddhheellpp

iinneeddhheellpp

is this the support dude?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice