1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Occasional glitch in WoW

Discussion in 'Games' started by beerman309, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beerman309

beerman309 Thread Starter

I just barely bought a new gateway fx7020. It has the 8800 gt and a phenom quad core 9600 and running windows vista home premium. This system is really nice and I love it but just occasionally in world of warcraft mainly it has a slight glitch. Like a half freeze and goes away quick. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. McTimson

McTimson

Can you tell if it's the computer lagging, or if it's the network? I don't know what the command is to show FPS and ping in WoW, it might be an option, but either way, next time it happens, try to see which one changes. If the FPS goes down, then it's the computer, and if the ping shoots up, then it's the network.

3. beerman309

Deffinately the computer. When it does it I hear something inside click more and the fps goes down. Hard noise to explain but i assume its the processor. Almost like crackling

4. McTimson

McTimson

Processors are all solid state, there are no moving parts, so you're not hearing it form there. The only moving parts in your computer are fans, the CD/DVD drive, and the hard drives. The cracking is most likely coming from the hard drive - the game is probably trying to access a texture or sound that wasn't yet loaded into memory, and it has to quickly find it. After it happens once, does it happen after that, or not until you restart the game?

You should defragment your hard drive to ensure that it will run as smoothly as possible. Click Start ->Programs ->Accessories ->System Tools -> Drive Defragmenter, select the drive you want to defragment, and let it run. Don't do anything on the computer while it's running, or it will just take longer, as every time the drive is accessed while it's running, it has to restart.

5. beerman309

Cool I'll try that out and see if it helps.

6. beerman309

Still seems to be doing it from time to time. Mainly in the same spots like the beginning of a battle ground. Think it could just be Vista?

7. McTimson

McTimson

Does it only happen in the beginning of a battle? That makes sense, because it's lots of stuff to load all at once. If it keeps on happening throughout the battle, then there's a problem.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!