1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Occasional, random black screen with display driver error.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Olivia7571, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Olivia7571

Olivia7571 Thread Starter

Yesterday my computer shut down and restarted with a message that read "Serious error: Display driver error." I followed many of the options the error message directed me to such as updating my display driver (Radeon x300) and doing many other updates that Windows had recommended; along with diagnostic tests that led me to no conclusions. I have not had the display driver error message pop up since, however when (and if) the computer does restart I am only able to me on the computer for a limited amount of time as the screen turns black and the monitor light turns amber. Sometimes it will switch back to green and eventually come back again; but other times it does not. In addition, whether or not this is unrelated I don't know, when I restart the computer a message appears saying "Drive 3 not found Press F1 to continue, or F2 to setup."

I'm not the greatest with computers but I'm sure I could follow along easy enough with some layman's terms. After being 2 days into trying to solve the issue, any advice or suggestions are much appreciated. I'm happy to provide any more information if anyone needs it.

Operating system: Windows XP Dell 3PD1771

2. Olivia7571

Olivia7571 Thread Starter

Also, when I reboot the tower makes 2 short beeps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061140