OCing a card help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Magistrate

I overclocked my card and it's working fine so far. However, I've only used UT2k4 to "test" it so far. I got it at 300 core and 435 memory. It's a 5200fx, I'm only gonna use it for a few more months, and I'm broke and desperate, so lets no discuss the fact that my card is a 5200fx. When I start up UT2k4 with my new settings, it works fine, but the intro takes 5 seconds before it commences. It starts with a golden nvidia circle, then a character pounds through it with a minigun starts shotting and gets blown up. Normally it just goes, but with the new settings the logo shows up, then it "freezes" for 5 seconds, and then it goes on with no artifacts. Is that a sign that I should lower the frequencies? Also, I've played about 10 games, well the first time I loaded one map I had a small artifact problem, but the second I didn't. What do I do about that?

One more question, if it runs UT2k4 with no artifacts does that mean it will work for most other games too? Is there a betta way to test it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

You are probably pushing your card too much. I also have a 5200FX, and have it at 290x350 any more and I start to have problems. As for other tests, you could download 3Dmark2001se or 3Dmark2003 and see if it runs all the way through.

Magistrate

Hmm strange... I put it back to "no overclocking" and now I get higher FPS on CS source demo. A few more FPS on UT2k4... I'm total noob at this... I know that it was indeed being OCed since I got to the point where I had artifacts and I went slightly below it. Is it possible to OC something to the point where it doesn't fail tests but performs worse than stock speeds?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online